British Cycling or Cycling UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
BC membership also gives you a monthly one-off discount although there is a minimum spend.
At Chain Reaction (maybe Wiggle again once the takeover completes?)

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm afraid Cycling UK's 'activism' is very much on its way out the door, as CU becomes a project management vehicle and vanity project for the chair and chief exec. British Cylcing seems to be doing more campaigning and have greater influence on TPTB these days.

Cycling UK's insurance also doesn't cover you for an incident with another member.
Maybe less likely to hit one in a race though?

robgul

Legendary Member
I've also had 10% BC discount applied by Evans, even though they don't officially do it - they said they'd give the discount as part of their price match deal. :okay:

The CTC/CUK & BC member "discounts" are largely a bit of a misnomer - from experience almost any bike retailer business will give you at least 10% off if you're warm and standing up (although that excludes whole bike sales where there are usually other deals to be had, e.g adding on £n of "free" accessories)

Rob

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The CTC/CUK & BC member "discounts" are largely a bit of a misnomer - from experience almost any bike retailer business will give you at least 10% off if you're warm and standing up (although that excludes whole bike sales where there are usually other deals to be had, e.g adding on £n of "free" accessories)

Rob

Any word on your insurance scheme yet? Do you have anything ready?

robing

Über Member
I'm going to cancel my Cycling UK (CTC) membership and switch to British Cycling. Anyone got any experience of them? Mainly want it for the legal support and insurance which both offer. Discounts look similar, CUK have the bimonthly magazine though,

I'm going to cancel my Cycling UK (CTC) membership and switch to British Cycling. Anyone got any experience of them? Mainly want it for the legal support and insurance which both offer. Discounts look similar, CUK have the bimonthly magazine though,
I did it years ago mainly because I needed a BC licence to Time Trial (affordably in Scotland) but when I was knocked off in London years later I found their solicitors Leigh Day good. Ive never really followed the discounts perhaps I should :okay:

It seems that quite a few CUK members are leaving due to a CUK announcement of support for the Black Lives Matter campaign.
( https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/black-lives-matter-statement-cycling-uk ) I guess these leavers think cycling should exist in its own bubble, and doesn't need to address diversity? Personally i think this may be the biggest thing they've done right since the charity conversion fiasco!

I haven't seen if BC have made any comparable announcement, so won't comment.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm with BC (Ride) and have been for around 6 or 7 years now. Their legal firm, Leigh Day sorted out a complex injury claim for me, took time (as these things do) but I'd not have an issue using them again should the worse happen. I have used the Halfords discount a fair amount in the past

CUK use Slater & Gordon, mixed reports from CCers, but the fact they advertise their services on TV puts me off as they look like Ambulance chasers! :ph34r:

I think I can provide a BC referral code if required.

I'm not particularly fussed by the politics either way!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It seems that quite a few CUK members are leaving due to a CUK announcement of support for the Black Lives Matter campaign.
( https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/black-lives-matter-statement-cycling-uk ) I guess these leavers think cycling should exist in its own bubble, and doesn't need to address diversity? Personally i think this may be the biggest thing they've done right since the charity conversion fiasco!

I haven't seen if BC have made any comparable announcement, so won't comment.

British cycling have signed this:

The appalling death of George Floyd, the global protests that have followed and the powerful message of the Black Lives Matter movement has made every section of society take notice and confront an ugly truth...

...It is time to face awkward questions, to become involved in uncomfortable conversations and to hold ourselves to account

https://www.sportandrecreation.org....creation sector commit to tackling inequality

I don't understand why anyone would object to the cycling uk statement, and there certainly doesn't seem to be a fag paper between their position and British Cycling's. All a mystery to me.

Drago

Legendary Member
I dont pay them to face awkward questions - I pay them to provide a service, and I expect that I, as a jewish Male, should receive exactly the same standard of service as anyone else regardless of any differing characteristics. That is surely not difficult and something they should have been doing anyway without need to spend member-paid for resources on irrelevant matters.

Such diversionary matters are not in their stated remit or their mission statement, and they should be balloting the membership before becoming involved in such matters, even preripherally. In the meantime they should carry on doing what they're paid to, while paying due regard to matters of diversity as it affects their business and their customers, nothing more or less.

Last edited:

Baldy

Über Member
I've just joined British Cycling, only really for the insurance. It did strike me as a bit odd that there were a few different categories of competition cycle cover and then "commuter". As if the only way to cycle is in competitions or just as a means to get to work. It didn't seem to occur to them that lots of people tour or cycle purely for recreation. I did get the impression they were really only interested in racing.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just joined British Cycling, only really for the insurance. It did strike me as a bit odd that there were a few different categories of competition cycle cover and then "commuter". As if the only way to cycle is in competitions or just as a means to get to work. It didn't seem to occur to them that lots of people tour or cycle purely for recreation. I did get the impression they were really only interested in racing.
The Ride cover is broadly for leisure / touring cyclists

Top Bottom