British Cycling or Cycling UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bondirob

First up apologies if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find a thread on it.
I'm thinking of joining one of the above for the insurance mainly.
What are the advantages of either?
I know BC do a Halfords discount but CU does seem to be getting stuck into issues regarding cyclist while BC seems silent.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The Halfords discounts are misleading. The shop prices are slightly inflated anyway so a discount would be almost negligible. That was my observation when I was shopping around for a mid range MTB/off road tourer. I large internet retailer came up trumpz

If it is the campaigning side of things you want to get into, there are loads of smaller charities you could make a bigger change. Also Sustrans, Space for Cycling, various bike projects, etc etc. Certainly down here in the South West, there are lots of great community initiatives. If I was closer to Bristol I would go small, but for now I volunteer for Sustrans and I'm very happy doing so.

It depends really on what change you want to make and what you want yourself.

vickster

Legendary Member
First up apologies if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find a thread on it.
I'm thinking of joining one of the above for the insurance mainly.
What are the advantages of either?
I know BC do a Halfords discount but CU does seem to be getting stuck into issues regarding cyclist while BC seems silent.
Either look at the terms of the benefits. The Halfords discounts more than cover my BC membership costs (and I'm using their legal services)
Or decide on the basis of their political stance and activities

You don't need to be a member of either ultimately, others like Wiggle offer the insurances (the third party indemnity might be covered by your home insurance if you pay for that). Also, if you have an injury claim, there are plenty of solicitors who'll pursue an identified third party for you. The issue might come if it's a more minor injury or damage to property only, the organisations will take these claims on, a solicitor may not

OP
OP
B

bondirob

Either look at the terms of the benefits. The Halfords discounts more than cover my BC membership costs (and I'm using their legal services)
Or decide on the basis of their political stance and activities

You don't need to be a member of either ultimately, others like Wiggle offer the insurances (the third party indemnity might be covered by your home insurance if you pay for that). Also, if you have an injury claim, there are plenty of solicitors who'll pursue an identified third party for you. The issue might come if it's a more minor injury or damage to property only, the organisations will take these claims on, a solicitor may not

Thanks I'll look into the insurance options it was third party I was interested in.
I must say I do admire CU's activism

OP
OP
B

bondirob

The Halfords discounts are misleading. The shop prices are slightly inflated anyway so a discount would be almost negligible. That was my observation when I was shopping around for a mid range MTB/off road tourer. I large internet retailer came up trumpz

If it is the campaigning side of things you want to get into, there are loads of smaller charities you could make a bigger change. Also Sustrans, Space for Cycling, various bike projects, etc etc. Certainly down here in the South West, there are lots of great community initiatives. If I was closer to Bristol I would go small, but for now I volunteer for Sustrans and I'm very happy doing so.

It depends really on what change you want to make and what you want yourself.

I'm not wanting to get into activism but I would prefer to support an organisation who campaigns for cyclists

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yes activism is a strange animal. In my experience it can be draining or rewarding. Or both. I think most of the percieved 'activist' charities will be grateful for any regular payment. At one time I decided to help a small charity, but the infrastructure and management was so chaotic I jumped ship. Piss up : Brewery scenario. Lovely ideas and passion, but they couldn't even put together a leafleting exercise without disappointing loyal helpers. They wondered why their impact was so poor.

Circumstances changed for me which means I do not have the disposable income to fund a membership of an organisation so instead I put my muscle and energy into maintaining the local NCN. I love it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks I'll look into the insurance options it was third party I was interested in.
I must say I do admire CU's activism
You could look at LCC, they offer third party for a tenner I think. There are divided views on their activism and activities however

Bear in mind, BC won't cover you for a third party claim with another cyclist if the incident occurs during a 'competitive' activity (including sportives iirc) edit: or with another BC member in any circumstance

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-31_11-28-43.png
    upload_2016-12-31_11-28-43.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 152
  • upload_2016-12-31_11-29-48.png
    upload_2016-12-31_11-29-48.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 141

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a registered carer, so get Cycling UK membership half price.

Beyond that it's simply a choice of whether you prefer nerds or geeks.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Bear in mind, BC won't cover you for a third party claim with another cyclist if the incident occurs during a 'competitive' activity (including sportives iirc)
It's probably not relevant to the discussion, but I think BC race Silver and Gold Race membership do cover you for claims incurred during competitions. Good job too, because quite frankly I'm a danger :tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
It's probably not relevant to the discussion, but I think BC race Silver and Gold Race membership do cover you for claims incurred during competitions. Good job too, because quite frankly I'm a danger :tongue:
I don't think the OP was looking at race membership

Red17

Veteran

Disagree re the Halfords discount being negligable - the discount applies across the store and I've often found them the cheapest around on accessories / tools / turbo trainers etc and I've been able to get the 10% BC discount from them on non bike stuff as well.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I don't think the OP was looking at race membership
Hence....
It's probably not relevant to the discussion, ....
I'd have let it go but you'd not qualified your statement about BC not covering competitive incidents. That would come a a shock to anyone with Race membership browsing the thread. So I picked it up. I tried lighthearted, but some jokes fell on stony ground....

vickster

Legendary Member
Disagree re the Halfords discount being negligable - the discount applies across the store and I've often found them the cheapest around on accessories / tools / turbo trainers etc and I've been able to get the 10% BC discount from them on non bike stuff as well.
And they price match :smile: yes if you wanted to buy a titanium tourer it may not be of use fir such a purchase
I just got a pair of Conti tyres for £32, the same anywhere else from a U.K. Web retailer would be £48

Top Bottom