British Cycling or Cycling UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hence....

I'd have let it go but you'd not qualified your statement about BC not covering competitive incidents. That would come a a shock to anyone with Race membership browsing the thread. So I picked it up. I tried lighthearted, but some jokes fell on stony ground....
Actually with race membership you'd still not be covered I think in an accident with another BC member. As the solicitors could not cover both parties

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/thirdpartyliability

Just something to be aware of. Crash into non members only ;)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thats the same as audax membership.It gives you third party cover while you are taking part in an audax event as long as the third party isnt a member of audax uk.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thats the same as audax membership.It gives you third party cover while you are taking part in an audax event as long as the third party isnt a member of audax uk.
in both cases, it makes complete sense, the organisation cannot represent both parties

I should think in a race you are more likely to collide with someone else, potentially another BC member, than colliding with anyone else in an Audax

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

Reason No.41 why I joined AUK. You see there was this time when I wasn't a member and there was this bloke called Banjo and he had a real cob on against me for some reason. Always trying to run me off the road. So I joined and he's since left me alone. Happy New Year Banjo. See you at the next one!

Tin Pot

Guru
I had no idea there were two orgs.

Sounds a bit People's Cycling Front of Britain Vs the British Cycling Front.

OP
OP
B

bondirob

I think that rules BC out.
They ought to cover you if you have am incident with another BC member.
This wouldn't happen with motor insurance.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Reason No.41 why I joined AUK. You see there was this time when I wasn't a member and there was this bloke called Banjo and he had a real cob on against me for some reason. Always trying to run me off the road. So I joined and he's since left me alone. Happy New Year Banjo. See you at the next one!

Would struggle to run the Surly off the road with my little bike ^_^^_^ Happy new Year HC will keep an eye out for you.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think that rules BC out.
They ought to cover you if you have am incident with another BC member.
This wouldn't happen with motor insurance.
BC only use one legal team I think (Leigh Day), thus they could not represent both clients, perhaps car insurance companies have lots of legal firms 'on their books'?
Check CUK's liability Ts & Cs as well

At least BC are pretty open about the policy :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
The same firm can represent both clients, provided a different lawyer is there for each client, but they may not with to do so. I was once hit in my car by a woman insured by the same firm, and my legal cover had no problem screwing over the same firm providing her legal cover, and doubtless billed the insurers outrageously for the privilege.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Either look at the terms of the benefits. The Halfords discounts more than cover my BC membership costs (and I'm using their legal services)
Or decide on the basis of their political stance and activities

You don't need to be a member of either ultimately, others like Wiggle offer the insurances (the third party indemnity might be covered by your home insurance if you pay for that). Also, if you have an injury claim, there are plenty of solicitors who'll pursue an identified third party for you. The issue might come if it's a more minor injury or damage to property only, the organisations will take these claims on, a solicitor may not

Disagree re the Halfords discount being negligable - the discount applies across the store and I've often found them the cheapest around on accessories / tools / turbo trainers etc and I've been able to get the 10% BC discount from them on non bike stuff as well.

For me, I like giving something back and the fact that BC offers "primary" insurance - that is they won't involve other insurance you might have to split costs (ie house insurance, etc) but will just get on and deal with it.

But what I really like is that for £35 BC membership I get 10% off virtually EVERYTHING at Halfords (not just bikes / bike stuff) and that includes them price-matching other retailers, including online only retailers.
I couldn't even start to list all the discounts I've had with my membership, but as a handful of examples this year I got 10% off the sale price of my new carbon road bike (approx. £112), 10% off a new Garmin Edge (approx. £25), 10% off the price matched cost of a Thule ProRide 598 (approx. £8). Plus I've had a load of other stuff that the discount has been applied to - 6 tyres, 2 Garmin mounts, a track pump, 2 carbon bottle cages, a mini-pump, a couple of Boardman jerseys, a tool box and much more stuff that I simply can't remember.

vickster

Legendary Member
For me, I like giving something back and the fact that BC offers "primary" insurance - that is they won't involve other insurance you might have to split costs (ie house insurance, etc) but will just get on and deal with it..

Might take them a while though :wacko:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Actually with race membership you'd still not be covered I think in an accident with another BC member. As the solicitors could not cover both parties

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/thirdpartyliability

Just something to be aware of. Crash into non members only ;)
I'll suck it up and say I wasn't aware of that. It probably renders Race liability cover for the vast majority of competitive riders (proper competitive, not sportive) next to useless. Everyone who I know that races or TTs is a BC member.

vickster

Legendary Member
It just means you wouldn't be able to sue nor then you at least through BCs lawyers. Can't see it would preclude any case. Must be quite hard to prove 3rd party liability in a race anyhow due to the nature of the sport

Claiming to not being aware of it wouldn't help, it'll be in the Ts & Cs.
Go with CUK if it's a concern But you'd still be covered if you hit a car or ped which is the more likely scenario where you'd want cover :smile:

Top Bottom