British Cycling Ride insurance question on T&C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
While I'm at home with feet up and not out riding on a nice cool still day like today (see my seizure thread for why rather than throw bricks here please :smile: )

I'm looking at getting back on the BC
bandwagon and joining up. The below clip cut from their Legal support info on the Ride membership info page got me wondering on pedantic / semantics / some other form of ics??? I dunno.

If I'm merrily riding along and get e.g. left hooked by a driver and end up needing reclaimable medical help and with a mangled write off bike & I need legal support to get it sorted...

What if the person left hooking me in their car is a fellow BC member or BC official / BC executive / famous name in the pantheon of cycling for whom the bad publicity could harm BC too, do the highlighted in red exclusions still apply?

Yes I am sending the question to them directly as well but I'm just interested in the hivemind take on it

What is not covered?

Unfortunately, the British Cycling Incident Helpline and British Cycling’s solicitors will not support a legal action:

• against another British Cycling member.
  • against a member of one’s immediate family.
  • where there is a conflict of interest between a member and British Cycling eg where a claim may be against an organiser or official of a British Cycling registered event (1)
  • involving product liability issues such as faulty bikes or equipment.
  • where the incident takes place outside of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands (see below for information on assistance available if you are involved in an incident abroad).
  • where membership was not current at the time of the incident. (2)
  • where the incident involves a Ride member taking part in a competitive race or time trial.

Read more at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/legalsupport#fV4HcCHqFL7rF1ub.99

vickster

Legendary Member
It reads as not, but call them and ask what would happen in reality...and let us know :smile:

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
have sent an email with v much the text of the above. I shall report back.

I've suggested that such exclusions if they do apply amount to a get out of (BC supported) prosecution free card for BC members, and would be just as beneficial to me if I were the driving offender running down a BC cyclist in a moment of incompetence.

I've also asked if pavement incidents when wheeling & in control of a bike or in the case of folded folders, carrying it having been used or intending to be used for cycling on as part of the same multi modal journey are included.

I have too much time on my hands right now.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I assume it's because a solicitor cannot advise against their own client. When I asked for some legal advice recently they had to do a search to make sure the person I was asking about wasn't already represented by their firm, in order to avoid a conflict of interest. So it won't be BC's policy, but that of whichever solicitor it is that they use.

vickster

Legendary Member
I assume it's because a solicitor cannot advise against their own client. When I asked for some legal advice recently they had to do a search to make sure the person I was asking about wasn't already represented by their firm, in order to avoid a conflict of interest. So it won't be BC's policy, but that of whichever solicitor it is that they use.
Interesting. I guess in such an event one would need to engage a no win no fee solicitor other than Leigh Day independently

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've had similar when rear ended in the car by a fellow direct line customer, they had to hive one of us out to a 3rd party service they affiliate with to avoid that conflict.

It's more wondering about the context of the (if their fault) offending motorised element if they happened to be a BC member/vested interest but not in 'cycling mode'

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've had similar when rear ended in the car by a fellow direct line customer, they had to hive one of us out to a 3rd party service they affiliate with to avoid that conflict.

It's more wondering about the context of the (if their fault) offending motorised element if they happened to be a BC member/vested interest but not in 'cycling mode'
I guess in that case they'd be represented by the solicitor for their car insurance so it's a question of whether the BC solicitor could advise against someone who was a client of theirs, but not being represented by them at the time. I'll be interested to see what answer you get, as the legal and insurance is the reason I joined BC.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Personally I dont need a racing license so insure third party with Cycle Plan for a tenner per year.

While I'm at home with feet up and not out riding on a nice cool still day like today (see my seizure thread for why rather than throw bricks here please :smile: )

I'm looking at getting back on the BC
bandwagon and joining up. The below clip cut from their Legal support info on the Ride membership info page got me wondering on pedantic / semantics / some other form of ics??? I dunno.

If I'm merrily riding along and get e.g. left hooked by a driver and end up needing reclaimable medical help and with a mangled write off bike & I need legal support to get it sorted...

What if the person left hooking me in their car is a fellow BC member or BC official / BC executive / famous name in the pantheon of cycling for whom the bad publicity could harm BC too, do the highlighted in red exclusions still apply?

Yes I am sending the question to them directly as well but I'm just interested in the hivemind take on it

What is not covered?

Unfortunately, the British Cycling Incident Helpline and British Cycling’s solicitors will not support a legal action:

• against another British Cycling member.
  • against a member of one’s immediate family.
  • where there is a conflict of interest between a member and British Cycling eg where a claim may be against an organiser or official of a British Cycling registered event (1)
  • involving product liability issues such as faulty bikes or equipment.
  • where the incident takes place outside of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands (see below for information on assistance available if you are involved in an incident abroad).
  • where membership was not current at the time of the incident. (2)
  • where the incident involves a Ride member taking part in a competitive race or time trial.

Read more at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/legalsupport#fV4HcCHqFL7rF1ub.99

This is one reason I never take out insurance unless its absolutely necessary. Why pay for something that may ultimately turn out to be useless just when you need it most? That BC insurance doesnt sound like it covers very much at all. BS insurance more like.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Why not call and speak to them?
I want things in writing, less easy to change their mind on or try the in the heat of the moment/call taker misunderstood, what they should have said is...... at a later date.

Been caught out with verbal assurances in things like this before & my job requires accountable precision so it's the default I am held to too.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can ask them to confirm in writing? If so concerned, use another provider? You mention the Ride membership rather than Race

Top Bottom