British Standard Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
It's occured to me several times that finding BS lights that are also decent enough to see by is difficult. I have a BS rear light, but it's swamped by my 1/2 watt smart. I don't have any BS front lights as I'm unaware of any that are of a decent brightness to earn room on my handlebars. I sometimes think of getting one, as the Hope 1 and ebay torch types I have don't have the side spill features that I believe the BS requires.

So what do other people use? what BS (or equivalent) lights are there, are any worth having? Are you realistically going to get in legal trouble (I suspect unlikely) or affect civil actions (probably more likely)?

monnet

Guru
I think if you've got lights and they are working, I think it's unlikely you'll get into any legal trouble. If you are concerned one thing to check if they have been manufactured to the standards of another EU state, preferably German. So long as they meet the minimum EU standard then they're ok. I'm not sure where that leaves my US manufactured Niterider though.

As you point out, I think the only time it might become an issue is in the case of an accident as some crafty lawyer might try to argue that your lights aren't UK legal under numerous spurious reasons.

Top Bottom