Votes: 11 25.0%
  • BT

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • TalkTalk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
What I don't understand is, where I live, I only have the option of BT. I live about four miles from a sizeable town, so not the middle of nowhere. And I get 1.5 (whatever unit) download speed.

BT put fibre to near or village and didnt tell anyone so might be best to check if there is one nearby (FTTC - fibre to the cabinet) Will still use copper wire to your house but should be quicker.

I live nowhere near fibre and use a dish on the side of the house to link into Internet but not near the speed of out old BT infinity. Otherwise its ASDL!

lane

Veteran
I will stick with Virgin then thanks for the explanations. Generally works ok and faster than BT being cable and while it is not the cheapest overall probably worth the money. Family of four with two teenagers it gets well used!

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
We were originally with Orange (after moving from NTL World) and the performance / customer service was not that great but then we got upgraded to Fibre by EE and the performance / customer service over the past couple of years has been exemplary.

D

Deleted member 26715

What I don't understand is, where I live, I only have the option of BT. I live about four miles from a sizeable town, so not the middle of nowhere. And I get 1.5 (whatever unit) download speed.
If BT are able to provide you with Broadband, then lots of the other players should also be able to, it's a bit like Electricity & Gas, it's exactly the same Electricity & Gas that you physically use no matter whom you pay.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up

If BT are able to provide you with Broadband, then lots of the other players should also be able to, it's a bit like Electricity & Gas, it's exactly the same Electricity & Gas that you physically use no matter whom you pay.

Have you tried a search for available providers ?

https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/br...p3DhE213DDlB1rt3aFfNGNRr1WIQOc48aAu_oEALw_wcB

rualexander

Legendary Member
Finally dumped broadband recently and got a new sim for my mobile from 3, unlimited data, calls, and texts for £20 a month and run everything from it via hotspot tethering, tablet, PC, Chromecast, etc.
Download speed has doubled and upload speed is about 50 times faster.
Not found any downsides yet really, maybe phone battery discharges a bit quicker but no big deal.

tom73

Guru
Been on cable for years in fact pre dates virgin take over slowly it's got worse and the price has gone up every time you take your eye off it.
You may get a good deal with virgin but watch them like a hawk they put the price up at the drop of a hat.

Every year I spend well over hour on the phone getting them to knock the price down they play a lot of this is the best we can do story together with have to go away and ask someone. It's like buying double glazing. I've even gone right to point of a day before moving to other provider before they will do anything. Current deal I got out of them was £31 for phone (hardly used), 100mb broadband. we stopped TV freeview sorts most things for us.

Currently our broadband has had an ongoing issues for 6 days. it's area wide and virgin are not interested. The speed maybe 2rd to none but the service is a bad of the preverbal. Tech support is now been farmed out and is a waste of time. Anything past turn off and on and we need to reset your signal they don't have a clue.

I'd say shop around get a price match if you can also check what cash back offers they have on too. We know a few who have plus net and never have an issue.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Finally dumped broadband recently and got a new sim for my mobile from 3, unlimited data, calls, and texts for £20 a month and run everything from it via hotspot tethering, tablet, PC, Chromecast, etc.
Download speed has doubled and upload speed is about 50 times faster.
Not found any downsides yet really, maybe phone battery discharges a bit quicker but no big deal.
I thought "Oh yeah, there will be some 'fair usage' limit built into their terms and conditions" but I just checked and there isn't - I'm impressed! The only limit I could find was something called 'TrafficSense' set at 1,000 GB/month to stop businesses abusing it. That is a crazy amount of data which 99% of people wouldn't get close to using.

I was going to say that 3 reception is no good here but I just checked the coverage map and it is supposed to be fine in the Calder valley now - they must have upgraded their network since I last checked.

I have just signed up to an 18-month contract with Plusnet but I will seriously consider a mobile plan when that is up.

Adam4868

Guru
I thought "Oh yeah, there will be some 'fair usage' limit built into their terms and conditions" but I just checked and there isn't - I'm impressed! The only limit I could find was something called 'TrafficSense' set at 1,000 GB/month to stop businesses abusing it. That is a crazy amount of data which 99% of people wouldn't get close to using.

I was going to say that 3 reception is no good here but I just checked the coverage map and it is supposed to be fine in the Calder valley now - they must have upgraded their network since I last checked.

I have just signed up to an 18-month contract with Plusnet but I will seriously consider a mobile plan when that is up.
Don't know what package your on Colin but I got the TV thrown in for a extra 5pounds a month,has Eurosport and Bt sport which means I can record them.Dont know much more about other channels.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't know what package your on Colin but I got the TV thrown in for a extra 5pounds a month,has Eurosport and Bt sport which means I can record them.Dont know much more about other channels.
I'm happy with the TV from Freesat and I pay about £2.50/month for Eurosport Player, though I can't record that. Plenty of cycling on EP and I'm not really bothered about other sports, but it sounds like a good deal for anyone who IS!

contadino

Veteran
Zen internet. Guaranteed price lower or equal to when you sign up for life. Speed under Bt, between 2 and 8 Mbps, 27-30 Mbps with Zen. Plus when there's a problem someone answers the phone and sorts it.

There are few things I'd recommend nowadays but Zen for internet is top of the list.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We're with BT. They are not cheap but the service they give when there are technical problems is worth a few quid. Both TalkTalk and Plusnet left us without broadband for ten days and didn't seem in any hurry to fix the faults that were down to them. Plusnet were actually quite rude when I turned down their "special deal" and insisted on leaving at the end of the contract.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
@Phaeton , @Afnug I thought it worked like that, but when I phone up alternative providers, as soon as I say my postcode, they say they can't provide (or did 6 months ago when I last tried to change). Talk Talk even waived the early contract cancellation fee when I moved here as they couldn't provide the service in the new place (which was very kind of them and unexpected).

Top Bottom