Broke my flipping leg!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Just to add to the Cyclechat Cripple List (get well soon Maggot) I had a bit of an incident on the ski slopes last week! Picture the scene....last Friday, Val d'Isere, snow absolutely PERFECT, sun shining, skies blue...an inelegant but competent skier comes down a red run perfectly within her capabilities and within her ski school class. We're practising 'pole planting' which is something I generally think I'm quite good at. All of a sudden I look down at my next turn and realise I've planted my pole slap bang in front of my ski. My ski hurtles into the pole, I fall awkwardly and pretty much snap my shinbone on my ski boot.

So for the past week, I've been stuck in a french hospital. I had surgery on Saturday and they basically hammered a metal pin down the inside of my shin to fix it whilst I lay under a local anaesthetic and heard the chap banging his hammer!!! But to be honest I've been incredibly lucky and incredibly well looked after. The entire hospital staff were amazing.I do realise how lucky I've been.

Any sympathy gratefully received...and any thoughts on how long it takes to recover from a pretty clean snap of the tibia and when I can be back on my feet (and more importantly, my darling bike)?

graham56

Guru
OUCH! Slippery stuff that snow. At least 6 weeks minimum Cathryn, probably longer before your back in the saddle as i would imagine physio to follow.Hope you feel better than you did last week. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to you.

QuickDraw

Get well soon.

A guy I used to work with broke his climbing over a fence while drunk - he got all the sympathy he deserved as you can imagine.

He was off work for 3 weeks but it was a lot longer before he could get back to running but he was back on an exercise bike in the gym a lot earlier so hopefully you'll be back on 2 wheels very soon.

Here's some more virtual sympathy, Get well soon!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, ow! Poor poor you!

Somewhere in our collection upstairs I think we have a nice human tibia, with a really badly offset union of a fracture. Not that it helps you, but at least in this day and age, you probably won't end up with one leg much shorter than the other, and displaced joints..

(Sadly, we bone people do use words like 'nice' to describe some really nasty pathologies...)

Anyway, hope it all heals well and quickly...

wafflycat

Cathryn said:
Just to add to the Cyclechat Cripple List (get well soon Maggot) I had a bit of an incident on the ski slopes last week! Picture the scene....last Friday, Val d'Isere, snow absolutely PERFECT, sun shining, skies blue...an inelegant but competent skier comes down a red run perfectly within her capabilities and within her ski school class. We're practising 'pole planting' which is something I generally think I'm quite good at. All of a sudden I look down at my next turn and realise I've planted my pole slap bang in front of my ski. My ski hurtles into the pole, I fall awkwardly and pretty much snap my shinbone on my ski boot.

I read that as 'pole dancing'. Sorry, I just had a mental image of a pole dancer coming down a mountian side and breaking her leg... I've had too much caffeine today.

Get well soon!

Keith Oates

Janner
Sympathies from me as well Cathryn, hope the painful bit is over and the recovery quick. At least the thought of getting back on the bike will help to give you an incentive when going through phyisio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom