Broke my flipping leg!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once took a non-skiing pal skiing, he picked it up pretty fast but on the last run down (isn't it always?) he hit a patch of grass. I waited for him to catch up but he just stood looking at his foot. The ski was windmilling around through 180 degrees! "Is it supposed to do that?" he asked. I went and got the car, drove it up a nearby lane to him, put him in and took him to the clinic.

Jambe cassée. But he never felt any pain, said he could feel the ends grinding against each other though.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. It's nice to be back in Blighty and online as well.

Yep, I speak good French...and it's even better now after a week in hospital. Learned lots of new words (la perfusion - drip, le bassin - bedpan (!!), piqure - injection). Actually, it was so incredibly useful speaking French. I have a dodgy heart so need anti biotics before any surgery, and am also allergic to iodine, so being able to rabbit this at anyone who approached me was really handy. It also won me larger portions at dinner and friendlier nurses as they couldn't believe a Brit spoke English. I'd firmly recommend learning French!!

ChrisKH

Guru
My sympathies Cathryn. My eldest only broke his wrist (albeit very badly) in September and he is only now getting back to using it fully. He still hasn't been signed off by the surgeon as it wasn't fixed brilliantly however being a child they allow it to grow round the break and straighten out naturally. He was pinned which put him out of action for the best part of 12 -15 weeks. The pin was only in for a very short time. You will need to work on the counter-productive aspect of not being active in the latter stages of healing which was hard for us with an eight year old so for an active adult it can be quite crushing. Still, time to sort out all that outstanding paperwork and plan what to do when it's all fixed? Hopefully not skiing for a while.;)

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Ha.....my french is great, my english is clearly appalling ;)

ChrisKH, I am slightly nervous about being inactive...I'm not known for inactivity but guess I'll take it one day at a time. To be honest, compared to Maggot's spinal exploits, I'm incredibly lucky. There was a brit in hospital with me who broke both his legs snowboarding and he won't walk for 6 months. Kind of makes you count your blessings...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cathryn said:
Ha.....my french is great, my english is clearly appalling ;)

ChrisKH, I am slightly nervous about being inactive...I'm not known for inactivity but guess I'll take it one day at a time. To be honest, compared to Maggot's spinal exploits, I'm incredibly lucky. There was a brit in hospital with me who broke both his legs snowboarding and he won't walk for 6 months. Kind of makes you count your blessings...

Might make you count your legs!!!

Owie Owie Owie!!! That sounds horrible. But you still have your lovely tour in the summer to look forward to and you WILL be able to do it!! I actually know of someone who did that to both of his legs whilst trying to ski jump in regular ski boots...

And, you can still drink though, right?

[sound of champagne cork popping]
[and a vodka bottle opening]
[and some ginger being chopped up and dropped in the vodka]
[and fizzing as the champagne and vodka get mixed together]

[hands Cathryn ginger champagne]
Get well soon babe ;)

Cathryn said:
Thanks for the sympathy, that's pretty much all I was after :tongue:

A snowballing of sympathy Cathryn - very best wishes for a full and healthy recovery. Slippery, Slope & Sycle (prop. P. Stevens esq) offer a full 'investigation' service - contact them for details (when he gets back from his skiing holiday:tongue:) (again ;))

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Owie Owie Owie!!! That sounds horrible. But you still have your lovely tour in the summer to look forward to and you WILL be able to do it!! I actually know of someone who did that to both of his legs whilst trying to ski jump in regular ski boots...

And, you can still drink though, right?

[sound of champagne cork popping]
[and a vodka bottle opening]
[and some ginger being chopped up and dropped in the vodka]
[and fizzing as the champagne and vodka get mixed together]

[hands Cathryn ginger champagne]
Get well soon babe ;)

I can drink now I'm not on pain killers so will gratefully receive the ginger champagne.

Seriously though, do you think I can still do the tour? You've touched on my big fear. That was the only point I cried...when I started wondering if I'd be able to do it. We want to do the trip in June - would I be fit enough? Will my leg mend well enough to climb mountains?? At the moment, I'm obsessed with the trip, and it's all I'm going to think about so I get motivated to get better!!

Yes I do think you'll be able to do it.
Unless you really cane it cycle touring is typically low impact on the muscles and joints (I find). I just did a 270k tour of Dorset after 7 weeks off the bike (I had some health problems late last year) with hardly any ill effects. With your leg, you'll probably not be up to riding any long distances for about 12 weeks, but you've got a good level of residual fitness, and you lose it at a third of the rate that you gain it. 12 weeks takes you to the middle of April. You can still build up mileage from then on, and will probably be able to go on the exercise bike before then as it's low impact. Once you get to June you will be able to put in a good mileage I reckon. In any case, it's touring - not a race. If you're anything like me you won't be in a hurry anyway... don't think for one minute that you're not going!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I hope it mends quickly ... use the time in the meantime to do all the sorting out bits for your trip - planning/paperwork, surfing the net for bits you need etc, till you are ready to start training.

Top Bottom