Broke my flipping leg!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
*hands Cathryn a clean hanky*

Deepest sympathies from all at tdr1nka towers,

I tried to cut my leg off at the knee with an angle grinder a year and a half ago and had 3-4 weeks immobility before they took the stitches out.
Don't be disheartened.

My advice would be, depending on what you are offered by your GP, is to get independent physio or sports physio advice as soon as you can get about.
I miserably kept off my bike longer than I needed and only found this out because I sought the advice, in fact cycling was advised as the best option for rehabilitating my injury and I was riding again before I recieved a NHS Physio appointment!

There is no reason at all for you not to be in the saddle and confident by June, it will just seem such a long way off when you're sat around feeling dispondant.
All you need to concentrate on for the moment is(seriously)resting that leg and letting it heal.

Rest easy, eat well and get well soon!

T x

The best leg pictures I've seen all day! I hope you get well soon.
On the subject of well timed breaks...A few years back, on the morning we were due to fly out for a 4 week tour of Vietnam my Mrs managed to trip, fall down the last 3 steps on the stairs and break her leg in two places. Probably not what you want to hear, but it took her quite some time to get back on her bike (but it was a nasty break).

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Hard luck! Perhaps you'll be able to get some good out of such a mess. Maybe the perfect opportunity to read every book you've been meaning to get round to but haven't quite managed?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone. Yep, creamcrackered...the mrs wins the badly timed break awards. Good point about physio too...I'm going to look into this tomorrow when I get back to work. I had physio from day 1 in France, they were fantastic.

Brock

Oh nice pics Cathryn! Can we see some of the uninjured leg?.. Just to give the swelling some comparison of course. ;)

You seem very brave.. I would definitely have cried. I've never broken any bones (apart from possibly my little toe which had a hugely painful meeting with the bed post one night) and the idea of snapping legs arms and fingers etc makes me cringe.
Don't worry about your tour plans, you could always fit a SPD pedal and just use your left leg :biggrin:
I do hope whatever else is broke, that smile is still intact. Get well soon.

papercorn2000

BJB said:
Papercorn really is a girl. Although her name is Esther not Easter ;)

And BJB is a 87 year old hunchback with severe personal hygiene problems.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks so much everyone. I'm very weepy now I'm home, weirdly enough. I was fine in France but now I'm home, everyone being nice makes me cry!!! Ridiculous. Maybe it's the thought of no more cobble riding for 2 months or so.

Does anyone know how User76 is? That's much nastier than me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sounds nasty - that looks near the knee....a place cyclists don't go..

You'll be up and pedaling soon - what about that GB Team lass that got badly injured near the Velodrome, a few years back - up and competing in the Olympics within a few months.

Silly sport skiing....should have done downhill speed cycling on the snow, far safer ? ;):wacko:

Get well soon, and see if the doc will let you do turbo or exercise bike sessions...

Dave5N

Über Member
Bad luck! I think with skiing when you're a beginner (Like I always was) you get so involved you forget about the risk.

Glad they're looking after you. Get well soon and demand plenty of attention in the meantime!

Sorry to hear of your accident, Cathryn! xx(
Hope it doesn't prevent you from keeping your spirits up!
Cycling season should coincide with the removal of plaster/getting back on your feet/pedals!

Try a winter sun holiday next time; 38 degrees here in Cambodia. :laugh:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Kirstie said:
And, you can still drink though, right?

[sound of champagne cork popping]
[and a vodka bottle opening]
[and some ginger being chopped up and dropped in the vodka]
[and fizzing as the champagne and vodka get mixed together]

[hands Cathryn ginger champagne]
Get well soon babe xx(

I think that when Cathryn was talking about getting plastered, she didn't quite have this in mind ..... :laugh:

As someone said, at least if you have to break a leg, the 'best' time to do it is in the cycling silly season.

Top Bottom