Broken fr mech hanger Now sorted and up and running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well this afternoon I went to collect a rather nice alloy framed bike .

Rolled of the sellers drive and started to check the RR sti unit worked when all of a sudden a strange noise and I couldn't turn the pedals .

Stopped and found that the front mechanism bracket had broke and the Campagnolo mechanism was in the chainset .

IMG_20170715_173415515.jpg
IMG_20170715_173410821.jpg

After a degree of thought I made a lot lower offer as the rest of the bike and components were immaculate .

Totally gutted as I was looking forward to riding this one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Band on adapter and a file to remove what's left, and a blob of bright blue touch up paint.

How good are your riveting skills? All you need to do now is to find a trashed frame with a riveted FD bracket. Drill it out and transplant. Put the request for such a frame out to the greater CC community who will immediately spring into action and find you the necessary trashed carbon frame. Perhaps even some aluminium frames come with riveted FD brackets.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
SRAM X1 eleven speed is your friend.

I did wonder about going single chainring or i might even just remove fr mechanism and use as is

or as @Yellow Saddle suggested find a trashed frame or i think planet x http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSPXFRMECH/planet-x-frame-replacement-front-mech-hanger

Sharky

Guru
Yep, drop one of the rings, maybe get a narrow wide ring with about 40t. Shorten the chain and you'll be amazed how good it is across the whole cassette. If you keep the current rings on you may get chain drop.

Just an idea.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yep, drop one of the rings, maybe get a narrow wide ring with about 40t. Shorten the chain and you'll be amazed how good it is across the whole cassette. If you keep the current rings on you may get chain drop.

Just an idea.

Its a good idea for sure will have to give it some thought

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Just an idea.

or with the right bottom bracket i could use this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-zee-m640-10-speed-chainset/rp-prod82416 ?

Thinking will try it as is ie 1 x 10 using outer ring and see what happens as not even sure i like the bike enough to warrant spend

could even treat my self to a new frame set and swap all bits out

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had a look this morning with a clear mind and removed the chorus from mechanism.

IMG_20170716_150150201.jpg
IMG_20170716_150153172.jpg

Mounting pad looks to be 27 mm Square , so might have room to fit a planet X repair plate .

IMG_20170716_151833153.jpg

Took it for a quick ride and as long as I stay away from the hills the 53 X 24 does seem ok . So will see what happens over the next few days .

Top Bottom