Broken fr mech hanger Now sorted and up and running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think the single ring solution would be a good one.

I am enjoying riding my single-speed bike, which has a 52/19 gear, ~72 inches. I am overgeared on significant hills and undergeared on downhills, or the flat with a tailwind. You would have a significantly lower bottom gear of ~58 inches and with (say) a 13 sprocket, a much higher top gear of ~108 inches.

Maybe stick something like a 48 tooth ring on for a range of (say) 53-97 inches?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
No chance of a frame repair then I take it?

yeah i would have thought so , but not really sure it would warrant it if it needed refinishing

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think the single ring solution would be a good one.

I am enjoying riding my single-speed bike, which has a 52/19 gear, ~72 inches. I am overgeared on significant hills and undergeared on downhills, or the flat with a tailwind. You would have a significantly lower bottom gear of ~58 inches and with (say) a 13 sprocket, a much higher top gear of ~108 inches.

Maybe stick something like a 48 tooth ring on for a range of (say) 53-97 inches?

For time being going to carry on as is , have ordered some JB Weld

http://www.jb-weld.co.uk/your-local-stockist

so will see if that works , if not then i need to do a rethink

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For time being going to carry on as is , have ordered some JB Weld

http://www.jb-weld.co.uk/your-local-stockist

so will see if that works , if not then i need to do a rethink
Baggage handlers managed to break the corner of my expensive SciCon bike box by throwing it out of the plane (!). I made an aluminium reinforcing plate and bonded it inside the corner of the case using epoxy adhesive. I was amazed at how strong the bond is. I'm sure that it is stronger than the material of the case itself so the case would fail before the repair if it got dropped again.

Let us know how you get on!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Baggage handlers managed to break the corner of my expensive SciCon bike box by throwing it out of the plane (!). I made an aluminium reinforcing plate and bonded it inside the corner of the case using epoxy adhesive. I was amazed at how strong the bond is. I'm sure that it is stronger than the material of the case itself so the case would fail before the repair if it got dropped again.

Let us know how you get on!

Will do it shows as despatched

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The JB Weld has turned up today

IMG_20170719_183057435.jpg

So hopefully will have a play at the weekend and see what happens.

IMG_20170719_183111471.jpg

Some pretty strong health and safety warnings so fingers crossed.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just mixed up the solution and held the broken piece in place so fingers crossed.

Put a bit around a previously unseen crack on same bracket so not holding out much hope but will see :sad:

Tangoup51

Just mixed up the solution and held the broken piece in place so fingers crossed.

Put a bit around a previously unseen crack on same bracket so not holding out much hope but will see :sad:

Heed some faith, miracles have been worked with JB weld. Even seen engine pistons made of the damn stuff, it can withstand alot of stress and it won't fatigue aslong as you keep it within its tolerances. Your applicant yields pretty low stress.

From all the repair topics I see on this and other forums everyone lives in the 1950s assuming theres a welder around every corner, but in reality There's not so you need to familiarize yourself with the miracles of epoxies.

Locking compounds and epoxies have been used to restore damage to bicycle frames for a long time now, everything from thread repair compounds to bearing cups lock compounds for ovalized headtubes. - Yes, compounds that are used to keep the head bearing cups tight during the full force of braking and accelerating - And thread epoxies that handle twice the recommended Nm for brake caliper mounts on your bike. - And you're worried about the stresses of a FD?

There's a reason why you don't need a welder around every corner nowadays.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XObmZIbHOzY

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Tangoup51 I hope it works believe you me

Tangoup51

@Tangoup51 I hope it works believe you me
I assure you it will. just make sure you get yourself with how Jb weld works, it's not rocket science it's pretty basic. It's a life skill to learn, not just for this but trust me for alot of things besides.

I'd say good luck, but maybe I need to say it for the bracket thats wanting to snap. :laugh:

Tangoup51

I am sorry to say, but that ain't gonna work.

If the Op mixed the epoxies up correctly with a decent cure time then the chances are it's going to have more strength than the bracket itself.

There's not going to be an easier way. - If the OP fancies stripping his frame down to nothing and shipping it to a welder (that'd touch alloy) or driving half way around the UK to find one, then he can do that.

But even if the JB weld didn't work, it'd be stupid to not of tried anyway.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I am sorry to say, but that ain't gonna work.

Well it felt strong enough and the mechanism fitted in the bracket ok .

Bolted the mech in the bracket ok , connected cable up and unfortunately when I tightened the cable up it split at the top of the bracket . Had to split the bottom half of . So gave it another clean up and will try again.

Tangoup51

Well it felt strong enough and the mechanism fitted in the bracket ok .

Bolted the mech in the bracket ok , connected cable up and unfortunately when I tightened the cable up it split at the top of the bracket . Had to split the bottom half of . So gave it another clean up and will try again.

When you tighten the cable crimp bolt it's going to want to turn the derailleur clockwise, if you put enough force in it, it'll snap it off the mounts. Top first, then bottom. - Support the derailuer by hand when youre tightening the cable.

The weld will be strong enough to hold the stresses of the cable when you select gear, but don't take liberties with it.

Keep persisting, in the end it'll be the most effective-easiest method to do this. !

Top Bottom