Broken fr mech hanger Now sorted and up and running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
]If the Op mixed the epoxies up correctly with a decent cure time then the chances are it's going to have more strength than the bracket itself.[/QUOTE]
Then they should make brackets from epoxy, but they don't.

There's not going to be an easier way. - If the OP fancies stripping his frame down to nothing and shipping it to a welder (that'd touch alloy) or driving half way around the UK to find one, then he can do that.

Well, if it doesn't work, it isn't a way.

But even if the JB weld didn't work, it'd be stupid to not of tried anyway.

Of course he should try. That's how experience is gained. But it ain't gonna work and then all of you will blame something other than the fact that it is an inappropriate place to use epoxy. Epoxy works when you have large surfaces to bond and the surface-to-load ratio is large. That place is everything that's opposite.

Tangoup51

Then they should make brackets from epoxy, but they don't.

Well, if it doesn't work, it isn't a way.

Of course he should try. That's how experience is gained. But it ain't gonna work and then all of you will blame something other than the fact that it is an inappropriate place to use epoxy. Epoxy works when you have large surfaces to bond and the surface-to-load ratio is large. That place is everything that's opposite

I'm not so sure if Opposite would be the right word, though I see what you're saying .

the FD won't give out alot of stress in normal use anyway and the surface area isn't actually that small. Epoxies can work very well with small surface areas with a high stress load.

They don't need to make epoxy brackets because they have easy access to make metal ones, besides I only say that the Jb weld may end up being the main supporting part of the bracket because that one is cracking in more ways than one.

I had this Henkel epoxy, just standard stuff said on the back of it it can support up to 40 kg/cm" which is 568 psi, it's covered me for the majority of my repairs though I've never used it for anything extreme like welding a frame back together but I've always wanted to see if someone would make a fairly thick bike frame out of JB weld and ride it.

Think it'd last well except for areas that need compressing, but anyway I do hope the OP has success with this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had a couple of quotes back yesterday from a couple of frame builders, both doing same job .

Ie machine away what looks like raised pad then rivet new bracket in place , both are claiming to have done similar repairs before .

So will see what happens when back home and I attach mechanism again.

Had a couple of quotes back yesterday from a couple of frame builders, both doing same job .

Ie machine away what looks like raised pad then rivet new bracket in place , both are claiming to have done similar repairs before .

So will see what happens when back home and I attach mechanism again.

I would take a slightly different approach. I would buy/scavenge a new bracket. I think they are quite expensive for what you get, therefore would look for a scrapped carbon frame with a riveted bracket and take that off. Then I would prepare the two surfaces - bike frame and new bracket to seat properly with each other in the right position. In other words, ensure that both surfaces mate perfectly and there is no rocking. Then I would drill and tap the frame. I would drill through the existing platform that's pretty thick, and tap it. Then I'd finishing off the job with some counter-sink machine screws in stainless steel. With patience, it is an easy DIY job.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I would take a slightly different approach. I would buy/scavenge a new bracket. I think they are quite expensive for what you get, therefore would look for a scrapped carbon frame with a riveted bracket and take that off. Then I would prepare the two surfaces - bike frame and new bracket to seat properly with each other in the right position. In other words, ensure that both surfaces mate perfectly and there is no rocking. Then I would drill and tap the frame. I would drill through the existing platform that's pretty thick, and tap it. Then I'd finishing off the job with some counter-sink machine screws in stainless steel. With patience, it is an easy DIY job.

Must admit I have an old trashed steel frame in the loft and once home I was going to try and get the bracket of .

And depends how it comes off , but the quotes are very good and if costed my time and the £10 I can get a new bracket for , I am almost the same as getting it done professionally .

So that is where I am , still thinking about loosing a friend ring and running 1 x 10 speed using all the gear fitted as no chain drop on test miles so far .

keithmac

Guru
Well it's held in place and feels solid

View attachment 363427

Just need to tidy up with a fine file .

View attachment 363428

Then mount the mechanism and try it.

You have a cat in hells chance of repairing that with JB weld unfortunately, as Yellow says it's nit designed for butt weld repairs.

You may have a chance of bonding another bracket on with it but belt and braces use a screw or two to secure it as well.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You have a cat in hells chance of repairing that with JB weld unfortunately, as Yellow says it's nit designed for butt weld repairs.

You may have a chance of bonding another bracket on with it but belt and braces use a screw or two to secure it as well.

i came to that conclusion this morning when the 2nd attempt failed , so it looks like its off to get repaired properly

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I would file off the remains, touch up the paint work and run it as a single up front and save the money for something else

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I would file off the remains, touch up the paint work and run it as a single up front and save the money for something else

At the moment i am running it using the inner chainring 1 x 10 set up to get a feel for it and once i have covered some miles i will make the decision to trim and clean up the remains or have it repaired

jowwy

At the moment i am running it using the inner chainring 1 x 10 set up to get a feel for it and once i have covered some miles i will make the decision to trim and clean up the remains or have it repaired
I ride 1x11 on my commuter Ti....love its simplicity

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I ride 1x11 on my commuter Ti....love its simplicity

Just been out for 20 miles on it using the 39 inner ring and it's to low I would need around 44 , cost of a new ring or single speed chainset plus any extra expense is more than likely repair , so I think it will get repaired .

Thanks for the input though .

jowwy

Just been out for 20 miles on it using the 39 inner ring and it's to low I would need around 44 , cost of a new ring or single speed chainset plus any extra expense is more than likely repair , so I think it will get repaired .

Thanks for the input though .
New ring from superstar components would be 30 bucks........or plenty on ebay as long as you know the bdc of the crankset

Globalti

Legendary Member
The decision to get it repaired is the right one; as long as the repairer is competent and had an understanding of the loads the bracket has to take under the leverage of the derailleur it will be fine. In fact there's a sort of beauty in a well-repaired machine because a competent repair allows you to continue to use the bike in this throw-away age. That was one reason why I enjoyed owning and maintaining a proper square Land Rover.

Top Bottom