Broken spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I have a broken spoke on my comuter bike, which I have removed. Do I need to fit a new one?
To replace it I will need to remove the cassette.
Do I need to replace it? Is it safe to ride with one spoke missing?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have a broken spoke on my comuter bike, which I have removed. Do I need to fit a new one?
To replace it I will need to remove the cassette.
Do I need to replace it? Is it safe to ride with one spoke missing?

Yes.
Depends on whether it is drive side or not.

From my experience, it's worth getting your LBS to fit it for you the first time as there are a confusing number of sizes of spokes. Once they've done one, ask to buy a couple of the correct size.

You need to replace it ASAP.

Firstly the wheel will be out of true as it is - which means less efficient cycling and possible brake rub.

Secondly it will put greater strain on the surrounding spokes which may break mid-ride and render the wheel unridable miles from no-where.

02GF74

Über Member
Yes.

not sure that is stricty correct - I seem to recall the cassette getting in the way when trying to remove a spoke from non drive side.

... and to remove cassette you may need special tools: chain whip and cassetter extractor.

keep the old spoke as you can then buy one of the same length.

e-rider

crappy member
Yes.

From my experience, it's worth getting your LBS to fit it for you the first time as there are a confusing number of sizes of spokes. Once they've done one, ask to buy a couple of the correct size.

that is wrong; the cassette will need removing whatever side it is.

If you continue to ride you WILL break more spokes and once you've lost 3+ the wheel could instantly collapse resulting in you crashing and possibly death if a car hits you when this happens!

It does depend somewhat on your initial spoke count ie. 36, 32, 28, 24, 20, 16 etc. If you had 36 you could be OK for a while.

e-rider

crappy member
hmm, I think you can get the spokes on the non drive side which are fitted so their heads face outwards, you can bend them a bit to get rount the casette.

you would have to bend them a lot depending on the largest cassette sprocket size - anything over 25T would involve an unacceptable amount of bending, and I still wouldn't do it with smaller sprockets. BUT if you want; you are corect in saying that it's possible. It's like saying you can remove square taper cranks or fit headset cups with a hammer!

02GF74

Über Member
depends on what you mean a lot. you have to bend them slightly to get into the hole in the rim.

spokes are just slightly thicker wires, they can take a fair bit of bending - we are not talking 45 degrees or anything like that and it is done once not repeatedly.

it may well be bad practise but I have done it and not had any problems, admitedly the number of times is very low, maye not more than 3.

Crankarm

Guru
IME once one spoke goes others will follow. Only wheel I have had that has failed was a 32h factory built Alesia rear wheel on my Sirrus Sport soon after I bought it. A single spoke broke on 3 separate occasions in quick succession, each time the broken one was replaced by Evans, a real PITA. Evans then rebuilt the WHOLE wheel with DT SS DB and plain spokes for max strength FOC. It is still going strong and straight 6 years later having carried really quite heavy loads plus me.

Hand built wheels from a handy wheel builder are the best option.

Top Bottom