Broken spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alp1950

The winter trainer/commuting bike has taken a pounding over the last few days as the car is off the road.

On way home this evening became aware that the rear wheel was rubbing on the mudguard. Couldn't correct it on the road and spent a fair amount of time at home later trying to adjust the mudguard before finally realising that the wheel wasn't running true. Finally the penny dropped and I found the broken spoke.

I guess I know the answer but I will ask anyhow: can I risk riding another 30 miles on the wheel before taking it in to the LBS, or should I do the sensible thing and get the wheel fixed before riding again?

PpPete

Legendary Member
The winter trainer/commuting bike has taken a pounding over the last few days as the car is off the road.

On way home this evening became aware that the rear wheel was rubbing on the mudguard. Couldn't correct it on the road and spent a fair amount of time at home later trying to adjust the mudguard before finally realising that the wheel wasn't running true. Finally the penny dropped and I found the broken spoke.

I guess I know the answer but I will ask anyhow: can I risk riding another 30 miles on the wheel before taking it in to the LBS, or should I do the sensible thing and get the wheel fixed before riding again?

Depends how many unbroken spokes there are.
A 36 spoker will run with one broken spoke for months without getting much worse.

battered

Guru
Go careful. As others have said a 36 will run for a while on 35 but if the wheel has already distorted a bit then it may fold up if you hit a pothole.

Top Bottom