Broken Spokes on back wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oneleggedtoad

I’ve just returned from a trip to Laos and almost as soon as I started the ride I started to lose spokes. I ride a Scott Aspect 20 MTB, and before the trip, had completed about 1000miles (1600kms) on/off rode with no problems at all, I mean the bike is an absolute dream. I was very happy with it.
Within the first 100 miles I lost the first spoke, then I was losing one every 50 miles or so until finally I had to make it to the nearest town where I could get I repair or bus to somewhere that I could get it fixed. In total I lost 5 or 6, on the back wheel only.
The rims are Alex XC-44, 32 spokes, and I was carrying no more than 15Kgs on the back rack.
I managed to get the wheel fixed but within 20 miles had lost another spoke, they were all breaking at the rim end of the spoke.
I was riding 95% of the time on good roads, I’m a steady rider and don’t ride of the edge of pavements with a load on the back or fail to avoid potholes. I mean I’m a careful rider.
I just don’t get it, why do I lose spokes all the time?
Last year I rode approx 600 miles through France on my Specialized Tricross Sport and again was losing spokes on the back wheel.
I’ve just noticed that the Rims on the Tricross are also Alex rims, are they crap rims or am I doing something wrong here?
I’d be interested to hear anybody’s thoughts on this as I’ll be using one of the bikes again in France this summer and want to go away with some confidence that I’ll get to where I’m heading.

hubbike

To be confident you'll need hand built wheels from an experienced wheel-builder. they will be much stronger than factory built ones.

Otherwise carry a spoke key and keep checking that all the spokes are at a similar tension.

Once one goes they are all thrown out of wack and once the spoke is replaced the wheel should be re-trued too.

i don't know about alex rims but I wouldn't recommend mavic either.

e-rider

crappy member
if you ride with one broken spoke you are putting loads more stress on the remaining spokes and will therefore end up breaking more very quickly. Carrying panniers always seems to cause spoke loss in poorly built/low quality machine built wheels.

What you need is:

high spoke count (36)
high quality double butted spokes such as DT Swiss competition (the correct length - slightly too short isn't good)
brass nipples
high quality rims with double eyelets and double walled
3x spoke pattern

and most important; a very high quality wheel build with good correct spoke tension.

Get all these things and you'll probably never break another spoke again.

Bodhbh

Guru
I had the same problem. The first year I started touring, I had 3 different rear wheels pop spokes on 3 different bikes. One went repeatedly and the bike shop would charge me 30 quid to fix the 3-4 popped spokes and they'd go again a couple of months later. They could have told me I needed the wheel totally rebuilding, but they didn't bother, i guess they were on a winner. Since I've had some handbuilt back wheels done and there's never been a problem since. Get a back wheel made up by a wheelbuilder with a good reputation.

I used Spa Cycles (see the other thread running atm), I didn't know exactly what I wanted, so just phoned them up and explained what the wheel was for, they suggested build components and I had a new back wheel in the post 2 days later - it's currently on 15-20k miles without problem. I'm sure others can suggest other wheelbuilders.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Yes, any broken spoke is the sign of a badly built wheel.
Well built wheels are INCREDIBLY strong and will put up with unbelievable amounts of batter.

If you plan to tour very far (and it sound like you do!), then the 2 - 250 quid spent with a well respected wheel builder will be money well spent.

To the list of options for you to consider, I would add Paul Hewitt. I have never had a problem with any touring, mountainbike or race wheels built by him.

May I ask what make and type of rear rack you are using, as your breakage is happening at the rim end of the spoke, I think your rack might be causing it. I the rack can flex, this increases the pressure on the centre of the wheel. which pushes the hub away from the rim, stressing the spoke, more so if the spoke tensions are not even around the Wheel. this will be increased if you are using the wrong gear or standing on the pedals.

Just a Thought.

PpPete

Legendary Member
if you ride with one broken spoke you are putting loads more stress on the remaining spokes and will therefore end up breaking more very quickly. Carrying panniers always seems to cause spoke loss in poorly built/low quality machine built wheels.

What you need is:

high spoke count (36)
high quality double butted spokes such as DT Swiss competition (the correct length - slightly too short isn't good)
brass nipples
high quality rims with double eyelets and double walled
3x spoke pattern

and most important; a very high quality wheel build with good correct spoke tension.

Get all these things and you'll probably never break another spoke again.

Even a 700c "road" wheel built like this will stand " unbelievable amounts of batter" as Tim puts it.
Mine are Open Pro rims (narrow light weight rims - definitely not "touring") on 105 hubs. I've toured, even "off-road" for several days- with panniers (albeit shod with CX tyres) without ever breaking a spoke, and I'm certainly no featherweight.

Alex rims are often seen as original spec on bikes...but I've never seen them on sale as separate rims. I don't know if one can read a great deal into that....but often OEM bits are "down to a price". There are plenty of quality rims out there...DT Swiss & (arguably) Mavic at the high end, Rigida and Exal, lower down the price scale - but still with very good reputation.

e-rider

crappy member
Even a 700c "road" wheel built like this will stand " unbelievable amounts of batter" as Tim puts it.
Mine are Open Pro rims (narrow light weight rims - definitely not "touring") on 105 hubs. I've toured, even "off-road" for several days- with panniers (albeit shod with CX tyres) without ever breaking a spoke, and I'm certainly no featherweight.

Alex rims are often seen as original spec on bikes...but I've never seen them on sale as separate rims. I don't know if one can read a great deal into that....but often OEM bits are "down to a price". There are plenty of quality rims out there...DT Swiss & (arguably) Mavic at the high end, Rigida and Exal, lower down the price scale - but still with very good reputation.

I have my doubts about Mavic these days - since production shifted to Romania (from France) their 'cheaper' rims/wheels seem like overpriced shoot!

Rigida offer good value for money.

Brommyboy

Über Member
It is always worthwhile to check spoke tension for any new wheel. Getting the rim true does not necessarily mean that the tensions are the same.

Brains

Legendary Member
I have worn out two sets of rims, but never broken a spoke.

I ride heavily loaded touring bikes and do a lot of commuting so potholes and kerbs with a lot of use of the brakes

That said, my wheels were built by by Spa Cycles, Thorn and Condor.

dragon72

Guru
On my last tour, I packed my panniers by type of content (i.e. clothes in one, other bits in the other) for ease of knowing what was where when digging around for whatever I needed. Consequently the load was not balanced. Frankly it didn't affect the ride, but I think it must have made a difference to the wheel as I broke 3 spokes on that 1,500km tour.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have been breaking spokes like nobody's business on my rear wheel. The wheel itself is around 20 years old now and I have no idea if it was a good 'un or not when it was made. The bike it came with is a mass produced, probably at the cheap end, road/racer bike.

I have lost a spoke every couple of week of the past few months and spent around £10 each time to get them fixed and the rim trued again. Now one has gone yet again and the rim is out of whack, and just 2 days until the 45 mile Cheshire Cat.

The LBS owner reckons he can fit a pair of what he says are good quality wheels for £70 + fitting costs, I don't know what wheels they are but I need the bike ready to roll asap.
Should I trust him and shell out for factory built wheels or get mine fixed temporarily and order some handbuilt ones from Spa Cycles for around £60 more?

Top Bottom