Brompton - 3 speed or 6 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There are after market 8 speed hub options, Alfine and SA, but neither are cheap. Threads on here about them if you search.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a six speed with S bars but reduced the chainring to 40t. This gives a good low for some of the nasty hills I tend to find myself on. Reduces my top speed on the flat to about 20mph but then I am never in too much of a hurry since this bike is used entirely for touring. Best investment I ever made bikewise.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
There are after market 8 speed hub options, Alfine and SA, but neither are cheap. Threads on here about them if you search.
Mostly, and because of design constraints I think, hub gears tend to have those large jumps I was attempting to avoid. Even "close ratio" ones aren't in my book. But I'm willing to be convinced.
I have a six speed with S bars but reduced the chainring to 40t. This gives a good low for some of the nasty hills I tend to find myself on. Reduces my top speed on the flat to about 20mph but then I am never in too much of a hurry since this bike is used entirely for touring. Best investment I ever made bikewise.
Yep - I very rarely get past 20 mph these days although if there is a downhill with a following wind I can. Some 13 years ago I designed my current gearing so that I would spin out at 30 mph whilst giving me a bundle of climbing gears. In practice I nearly unscrewed my legs at 32.5 mph back in the day and did ride a 1km of 25% as designed. So I'm a fairly well calibrated rider and know my gearing needs. These days the 25% would defeat me so I've put a bigger cog on for my up coming tour.

Hmmph - am I just a fussy fussy?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hmmph - am I just a fussy fussy?
Well, seeing as you mention it... Yes ;)

To use the Brompton 6 setup in strict sequence, giving the smallest gaps, every other change is a double change.

Or you could do what I do and just use it as a 3 speed hub with quite big jumps between gears and use the sprockets (left hand shifter) to give two ranges. But you need to be quite unfussy to do that ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
:laugh: I'll put my hand up to that.

Thanks for the gearing advice everyone.

My current tour is complicated by flying back from a different airport from my starting one. I'd still need an airline bag or box for a Brommie tho' wouldn't I?
Id think so. I have read about people passing out an IKEA dumps bag and putting it in the hold OR putting everything else in the hold and putting the Brommie in the overhead locker. If you're in business class, no probs.
Good thing about a Brommie is that it's pretty easy to box-up compared to a regular bike.

And yeah, if touring you're being a mite fussy about gearing ;-)

12boy

Guru
Its true the Bromptons are odd little creatures with many quirks but work well within their limitations, and their sturdy steel frames are stouter than the hubs of hell. Bushings may wear out but I haven't heard of frames or hinges crapping out to where thy can't be resurrected. I do wish they would add brakes with QR levers to make wheel changing easier, or horizontal drop outs or even a stem that would allow for use of 1 1/8 stems but you can work around those things.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Just had a call. It's arrived in the store 5 mins from my office so I can pick it up now!

But I've taken the day off to fit a bathroom and with the bank holiday have to wait till Tuesday.
This is going to be a long weekend!

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have an M6R, If I was buying again I'd go for the 3 speed, the extra speed options are 'nice to have' but really not necessary.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Just picked it up, very happy with it. I'm impressed with just how solid it all feels. Gears are, fun. Synchronising between the hub and the derailleur will take some getting used to and the right side shifter is very awkward and requires shifting my grip of the bar to use which doesn't sit well. Will see if it's position can be tweaked. And those handlebar grips..........

May also need to change to a longer seat post which surprised me as I tend to buy shirt trousers and still get them taken up!

Here are some pics.

IMG_20160830_123745.jpg
IMG_20160830_123754.jpg
IMG_20160830_123810.jpg

Also picked up a new cage and bottle which will probably just be cable tied on for now until I can work up a more permanent solution.
IMG_20160830_123836.jpg

Very much looking forward to getting it home and having a proper poke about.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just picked it up, very happy with it. I'm impressed with just how solid it all feels. Gears are, fun. Synchronising between the hub and the derailleur will take some getting used to and the right side shifter is very awkward and requires shifting my grip of the bar to use which doesn't sit well. Will see if it's position can be tweaked. And those handlebar grips..........

May also need to change to a longer seat post which surprised me as I tend to buy shirt trousers and still get them taken up!

Here are some pics.

View attachment 141878 View attachment 141879 View attachment 141880

Also picked up a new cage and bottle which will probably just be cable tied on for now until I can work up a more permanent solution.
View attachment 141881

Very much looking forward to getting it home and having a proper poke about.
Sex on 2 wheels! That's nice.! The right shifter should be adjusted so your thumb fits neatly in the vee. Ergon grips are the way to go ...

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Sex on 2 wheels! That's nice.! The right shifter should be adjusted so your thumb fits neatly in the vee. Ergon grips are the way to go ...
Thank you!
I am going to have a good fettle with it tonight, i'm sure i will be able to move it a bit closer, i'll give it a good chance before looking at alternatives at least.
Looking at grips, I may go for some of the Ergons. Will give it some time to get used to the bike for a while first, not sure if I really need palm support for my short rides.

Oh, and is it common to not be able to role the bike on the transport wheels? It feels like the mud guard bottoms out on the ground rather than sitting on the small wheel on the guard.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Oh, and is it common to not be able to role the bike on the transport wheels? It feels like the mud guard bottoms out on the ground rather than sitting on the small wheel on the guard.
Sure it's mudguard, not seat post? If you shove the seat post all the way down it can hit the ground.

Top Bottom