Brompton - 3 speed or 6 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
I've got the standard marathons on mine and not had a puncture in 2,000 miles of commuting in London. (Almost guaranteed to get one tonight now.)

As for price, From memory, mine came out at £1,080 and I paid the £80 cash as a deposit to secure the order of the bike and then paid the balance with the £1,000 from Ride to work. (Actually, it wasn't ride to work, it was another scheme, the name of which escapes me right now.)

I went for the 6-speed because of my journey at the 'home' end of the commute. I live in high Wycombe and often have to climb a pretty steep hill on my way home. To give you an idea of how steep, I normally top at 44mph coming down it, but average about 4mph going up it.

Otherwise 3-speeds might have been enough, but I'd have had to go for one which had a higher top end speed. I know this as I hired one for about a month from the docks in Ealing (there are others and there may be one near you: https://www.bromptonbikehire.com/) and found that I was spinning out far too easily. They are all fairly standard 3-speed M-types, so it might be worth hiring one to see if you feel the gearing is right, too low, not enough range etc. It's £2.50 a day and you can keep the bike for as long as you want. I used the one I hired for about a month while mine was being built.

Alternatively, if you can get to the Brompton Junction in Covent garden, you can take out various combinations of bar type and gears, but I found it was hard to tell which suited on a 2-minute jaunt around the block.

As for bars, I found due to my height that an M type was probably the best fit, but I didn't like the look. So I ordered an H type (even higher) and fitted low riser bars to it. The result is something that's a little higher than an S and a little lower than an M. It's ended up with the bar height being the same as the seat height which, at my age (and 'what with my back') is very useful, but still allows me to press on a bit. you can do the same by starting off with an S Type, but I was worried about the cables being too short, and whether or not it would fold properly. The H type has the fold slightly higher up, so the higher bars don't scrape the ground.

Here's what mine looked like on ordering:

13115946_10153387180346021_6225005583013015698_o.jpg

And after some 'fettling':

13095759_10153387180501021_8297828183374886241_n.jpg

13082540_10153387180486021_5894797266461584050_n.jpg

Also, this is the diagram I used to help me come to the conclusion that an H'-ype would work best for my plans:

13082540_10153387180486021_5894797266461584050_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

simongt

Guru
With such a short commute, unless you plan on longer hillier ones in the future, a 3 speed will be fine. However, the main drawback of the S type is it severely limits the range of Brompton type front bags you can fit; it's to do with cable layout apparently. With the M type, then the whole range of bags fits.

Melvil

With such a short commute, unless you plan on longer hillier ones in the future, a 3 speed will be fine. However, the main drawback of the S type is it severely limits the range of Brompton type front bags you can fit; it's to do with cable layout apparently. With the M type, then the whole range of bags fits.

That's interesting...which bags do fit an s type then?

Melvil

I have an S6l and love it. I am very glad I got 6 gears but then I do live in Scotland so must deal with hills. I like the position of an S which is the most aggressive of the B handlebar styles, but I also get a bit of wrist pain (I think however that is due to the shocking nature of Edinburgh's roads and the consequent jarring). You can get this model with a front block for £990 (by not spending on a paint colour) - that is why I have a black and white bike!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That's interesting...which bags do fit an s type then?
Officially the s bag only, due to the shorter stem height, the C and T don't fit, although I believe some have used them and got away with it.

But you can attach just about any bag to the bag frame, see fab foodie for details.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Just placed the order. Buckled at the last minute and went for the six speed.

Just got to wait the 6-8 weeks for it to be built just because I wanted it in silly colours. :rolleyes:

Melvil

Just placed the order. Buckled at the last minute and went for the six speed.

Just got to wait the 6-8 weeks for it to be built just because I wanted it in silly colours. :rolleyes:

Good work. Post pics when you get it! (I want to see the silly colours!)

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Very useful tables - thanks :okay:

I'd go for the 6, -12% option but even then I would find the jumps between gears rather large. Is the 6 a cassette or does it still involve a hub gear? If cassette can the sprockets be chosen to suit a more close ratio requirement? Also how easy is it to acquire/fit smaller chainrings? Any chance of fitting a double or even a triple?

Sorry chaps but I'm quite keen on getting my gearing correct (for me). I sacrifice big gears for close ratio smaller gearing. 5" jump between gears is about right for me. 10" as per the 6, -12% is too much.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I'd go for the 6, -12% option but even then I would find the jumps between gears rather large. Is the 6 a cassette or does it still involve a hub gear? If cassette can the sprockets be chosen to suit a more close ratio requirement? Also how easy is it to acquire/fit smaller chainrings? Any chance of fitting a double or even a triple?

Sorry chaps but I'm quite keen on getting my gearing correct (for me). I sacrifice big gears for close ratio smaller gearing. 5" jump between gears is about right for me. 10" as per the 6, -12% is too much.
The 6 is a 3 speed hub with a 2 speed "cassette". (Two sprockets on the hub)
@Fab Foodie has recently fitted a double. See this thread for the story.
There are other after market hub gears that you can fit or get fitted. I don't know anything about them, but they do exist.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You remind me that I really must lower the greasing on one of my 3speed hubs, to reduce the current 26" step ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

As @Dogtrousers says, if fitted a double chainset but not a derailleur (yet), it gives a low range gear set for touring over lumpy terrain.
Rogerzilla over at Yacf has modified his Brompton with a close ratio hub. Might be worth asking ....
My other thought is that a Brompton is not like a normal bike to ride anyhow. The 6 speed needs a lot of double shifting to go up or down the gear range for example and to my mind that effects how you make progress on it.
I think you need to try one for a time to see if it's for you.

Top Bottom