Brompton - 3 speed or 6 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doginabag

Hi all.

Looking to purchase a Brompton. I've had a Tern P9 for a couple of years now and although I really like how it rides, the build quality is pretty poor and it probably doesn't have much life left in it.

The only real alternative where I would have some confidence in it lasting well is a Brompton, buying through the cycle to work scheme there is a cap of £1000 so I need to carefully consider the options.

First I was looking at a custom specc'd bike as below which comes in at £960.

Handlebar: S Type
Gears: 3 Speed
Gear Ratio: 3 speed +8%
Mudguards/Rack : Version L - inc. mudguards but no rack
Frame Material: Steel
Main Frame Colour: Black
Extremities Colour: Lime Green
Saddle Height: Standard
Saddle: Brompton
Suspension: Firm
Tyre: Schwalbe Kojak
Lighting: Reflectors only

219e4618,228e4643,210e4535,225e4953,229e4659,232e4873,230e4870,215e4599,216e4603,221e4675,&w=700.png

Second option is to go through Evans and buy one from their standard range, I would be looking at a S6L in black for £990.
https://www.evanscycles.com/brompton-s6l-2016-folding-bike-EV271308

So what it really boils down to is, is the 6 speed worthwhile over the 3 speed and and should I sacrifice being a tart with the custom paint job and settle for the boring plain black?

My commute is pretty short and flat (Liverpool Street station to Holborn) which is just under 2 miles and a similar distance and terrain on the other side of the train journey. So around 7.5 miles a day.
And the rider is not as fit as he should be. :laugh:

glocal

Six speeds means additional maintenance for the derailleur, but I still prefer that and the smoother gearing, even if the range is effectively the same.

I suggest you discuss the cap with the shop. You can pay for extras yourself but what counts as extras is flexible.

12boy

Guru
If that ride was all you would ever do a single speed would suffice and a 3 would be ample. However, if you ever wanted to tour or go for longer rides or even have to move someplace less flat or take your bike with you on a trip, it would cost a lot more to increase your gearing to a 6 than the 30 pounds you are saving now. Not difficult or particularly costly to reduce the speeds on a 6, either. A stock 2 speed wheel is fairly cheap, 140 here in the USA vs 269 for a wide range SA hub. Your M type can fit some riser bars that would be lower or as low as the S bars so there is some versatility there as well. the Evans one comes with a luggage block as well which is something you will surely want. Almost any bag will convert your basic transportation to a mini-cargo bike for library books, a 12 pack or other groceries etc. I'd also set aside my pennies for a rechargeable LED headlight and a rear blinky so as to visible when the days are short and you are going home in the dark unless you take those off your Tern. Fab Foodie's all blue bike looks pretty sharp to me. Mine is red and black but I wish it had been all black.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Six speeds means additional maintenance for the derailleur, but I still prefer that and the smoother gearing, even if the range is effectively the same.

I suggest you discuss the cap with the shop. You can pay for extras yourself but what counts as extras is flexible.
Thank you, that's worth considering. I will speak to them again and see what they can do.

You might say that, as you have a flat commute, you don't need the extra range of a 6 speed. But once you have the Brompton you may (will?) want to ride it further afield, and on different terrains. And then the extra range comes in useful. I have a 6 speed, and that's all I have experience of.

Gear table, in case you've not seen it.
https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-...What-are-the-Brompton-gear-ranges-and-ratios-
That gear table looks useful, not seen it before.
Thinking out loud here - I'm looking a the +8% 3 speed which seems to be similar top end to the standard 6 speed, the benefit seems to come at the low end which I don't think I really need. The first gear on the 3 speed looks comparable to the 3rd gear on the 6 speed, so ignoring hte first two gears I don't need then I'm really comparing 3 speed against 4 speed.

With the 9 speed Tern I have currently I find if a bit over the top. 9 gears is far too many for a single front gear to handle and the chain comes off roughly once per mile! I never go below third and after that tend to jump two gears at a time as they are too close.
I have had a brief go on a 3 speed Brompton and it seemed fine, but am wondering if it is going too far the other way.

No concerns on using it for longer rides, never had the desire to before and I do have a (proper?) bike for leisure riding.

I think I am talking myself into the simplicity option of the 3 speed.

If that ride was all you would ever do a single speed would suffice and a 3 would be ample. However, if you ever wanted to tour or go for longer rides or even have to move someplace less flat or take your bike with you on a trip, it would cost a lot more to increase your gearing to a 6 than the 30 pounds you are saving now. Not difficult or particularly costly to reduce the speeds on a 6, either. A stock 2 speed wheel is fairly cheap, 140 here in the USA vs 269 for a wide range SA hub. Your M type can fit some riser bars that would be lower or as low as the S bars so there is some versatility there as well. the Evans one comes with a luggage block as well which is something you will surely want. Almost any bag will convert your basic transportation to a mini-cargo bike for library books, a 12 pack or other groceries etc. I'd also set aside my pennies for a rechargeable LED headlight and a rear blinky so as to visible when the days are short and you are going home in the dark unless you take those off your Tern. Fab Foodie's all blue bike looks pretty sharp to me. Mine is red and black but I wish it had been all black.
I would like to get a front luggage bag but with either option that puts me over mt £1000 limit, so will be something I may add later. I can add the luggage block to the custom specc'd option for peanuts so that may be worth doing.

Lights are already to hand from the Tern.

Thanks guys :smile:

12boy

Guru
As far as riding a proper bike for leisure riding goes I have several proper bikes and yet, while I ride them occasionally just because, my first go-tos are my Brompton and my Xootr swift. I particularly like the Brompton when carrying a lot of stuff to work or home from the grocery store. I think you will find your Brompton a lot of fun to ride and will go to it more than you might think. 20 miles on a flat surface with light wind is not much of a challenge for a 3 speed.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I love my bigger three speeds, have mashed them up some climbs and would lower the gearing by fitting a bigger sprocket if I often rode in hillier places. The benefit of simpler maintenance outweighs the reduced range.

I bought a six-speed non-Brompton folding bike and with hindsight, going for six instead of three was a slight mistake - the derailleur on a small wheel puts the chain too near the road crud and needs more cleaning than on a 600mm-ish wheel.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have a six because I go over all terrains and tour with mine. For your usage a 2 or 3 speed sounds perfect. And as stated a 3 speed is sl less maintainance.
Something I have just done to mine is replace the standard chainring with a double a £50 mod to give a wider gear range. Chain moving is done manually but it gives a high range and a low range for different usages.

Get the front block.

For luggage, you can buy a Brompton bag frame for £20 and attach a carradice saddlebag or similar if you have one. Cheap single Pannier can also be attached with a bit more bodging.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm not the fittest or fastest and ride a standard 3 speed happily up and down the pennine foothills around North Manchester. Knowing when to flick up and down a gear very readily becomes second nature and I'm never frustrated or lacking a gear to do what I need, simplicity sums it up nicely. To be fair tho, occasionally I find myself wanting a faster top gear when whizzing along downward sloping flats but in an urban environment such as you'd be riding I doubt that would be a problem, through the heart of Manchester and busy rush hour roads a 3 is fine IMHO.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ignore grumps, the s type feels most like a proper bike to ride. I originally went with 3 spd +8%, when I replaced a broken crank (new design is much stronger) I went back I standard gearing which I actually prefer as I have a few hill where I live now.

You wont notice the difference on Liv Street to Holborn, but a slightly lower bottom end you might appreciate on different terrain.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ignore grumps, the s type feels most like a proper bike to ride.
Because someone who has ridden an S type, from London to Southend, at night, in a kilt* is not entitled to ask questions?

*amongst other B rides of significant duration.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Are you sure you want an S type?
yeah I tried the s type and the m type. The s is much more what I am used to, the m made me feel a bit like a princess out on a morning pony ride. :laugh:

Avoid the Kojaks unless you like fixing punctures.
Oh really, the standard Brompton tyres are a better bet? I currently have the marathons and thought these might be a step up.

Ignore grumps, the s type feels most like a proper bike to ride. I originally went with 3 spd +8%, when I replaced a broken crank (new design is much stronger) I went back I standard gearing which I actually prefer as I have a few hill where I live now.

You wont notice the difference on Liv Street to Holborn, but a slightly lower bottom end you might appreciate on different terrain.
Nice to know it is a simple change should I ever want to.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Tyres wise I personally like standard (non plus) marathons, roll well enough, very p resistant and I found grip better than standard brommie tyres.

Top Bottom