Brompton bar fettling options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Hi,

As you may know I have a Brompton S-type and I am going to change the grips to Ergo GP2's based on the recommendations of some of you here.

I'm thinking of changing the bars at the same time to give a slight rise (no pun intended) from the flat S-bar as I think this may help the pain in my wrists (though I still think it may be due to Edinburgh's shocking roads - honestly the council should hang their heads in shame!).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a slight riser bar and have you done the same?

Cheers,

Mel

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yes, I've recently put a slightly raked back low riser bar I'd taken off another bike onto my S, I cut the bars down 3/4 or so an inch at either end to accommodate the fold without scraping on the floor.
The folded package is slightly wider but not inconveniently so and I decided to lengthen the cables a couple of inches to make them less tight when folded.

It has made quite a noticeable difference in my comfort on the bike.
Half an hour's fettling and a few quid on cables has been a good investment.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Nitto make nice, 25.4mm riser bars – more pricey than some, but good quality. Otherwise there are lots of cheaper risers on the market – SJS Cycles have a few. If you’re only raising the bars by a little, you might get away with not needing to buy new cables – anything more than 30mm - 40mm and it’s new brake cable time. I’d also check the rearward sweep of the bars you buy – on some it is more pronounced than others and depending on your preferred riding position, it’s something you might notice (particularly if you are already feeling cramped on the Brompton). That said, you can rotate the bars in the clamp…

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
Ergons are nice especially with bar ends. The GP 2 will not interfere with the fold, at least with a flat bar. I have tried some other options, including Porteur bars from Velo Orange for my S type but would up coming back to the stock bars with the GP2s. Another option would be bullhorns which include the need for putting on a QR in lieu of the handle bar bolt so you can rotate the bars to fold. I have been using a QR for years now and it works fine.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I have Tioga mountain-bike bars

brompton-ben8-16.jpg

brompton-ben8-02a.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ergons are nice especially with bar ends. The GP 2 will not interfere with the fold, at least with a flat bar. I have tried some other options, including Porteur bars from Velo Orange for my S type but would up coming back to the stock bars with the GP2s. Another option would be bullhorns which include the need for putting on a QR in lieu of the handle bar bolt so you can rotate the bars to fold. I have been using a QR for years now and it works fine.
Hi, any chance of a photo? Thinking of doing the very same to give a more forward reach ....
Which QR bolt?

12boy

Guru
Just an old seat clamp QR I had laying around. The bullhorns would be a snug fit in the clamp, and don't help the fold, but rotating them works. Will your shifters work on the larger bar? The bullhorns I've seen are always the thicker size of road bars. If working out new brakes and shifters is too much, google "Aber Hallo", a device that comes out about 2 inches from the clamp. There could be a QR used to hold that onto the stem which would also give you some extension. The Aber Hallos can also be used to raise a bar, of course. I'll try taking a picture of the QR thing and an Aber Hallo tomorrow.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks!
Just an old seat clamp QR I had laying around. The bullhorns would be a snug fit in the clamp, and don't help the fold, but rotating them works. Will your shifters work on the larger bar? The bullhorns I've seen are always the thicker size of road bars. If working out new brakes and shifters is too much, google "Aber Hallo", a device that comes out about 2 inches from the clamp. There could be a QR used to hold that onto the stem which would also give you some extension. The Aber Hallos can also be used to raise a bar, of course. I'll try taking a picture of the QR thing and an Aber Hallo tomorrow.

12boy

Guru
Hopefully you can pull these up and get a good look. They are the QR on the handle bar stem and the Aber Hallo.

Attachments

• qr2.jpg
    qr2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 313
  • qr1.jpg
    qr1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 314
  • ah2.JPG
    ah2.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 271
  • ah1.jpg
    ah1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 225

Kell

Veteran
This was my solution: Started off with an H-type and lowered the bars.

Figured it would be easier to shorten the cables than have to lengthen them.

Went from this:

13115946_10153387180346021_6225005583013015698_o.jpg

To this:

13076677_10153387180921021_3841956409225298668_n.jpg

13118945_10153387180656021_1191162474287702615_n.jpg

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
This was my solution: Started off with an H-type and lowered the bars.

Figured it would be easier to shorten the cables than have to lengthen them.

Went from this:

13115946_10153387180346021_6225005583013015698_o.jpg

To this:

13076677_10153387180921021_3841956409225298668_n.jpg

13118945_10153387180656021_1191162474287702615_n.jpg
That's what I did. I did prefer the uprightness with the original bar but with the Rohloff twist grip it wasn't possible for me to keep them. My huge monster hands needs lots of room but so does the twist grip.

Top Bottom