Brompton gear change problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JE201

Regular
Hi guys, I recently bought a Brompton M6L. I tried to use it this morning but about half way through I noticed that the numbered gears (on the right handlebar) were not changing properly - gear 1 is now gear 2, and gears 2 and 3 are both gear 3 (the gear doesn't change when I move between 2 and 3) i.e. I can't get into gear 1. The "+" and "-" gears on the left handlebar are working fine. Could anyone advise how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

truman sparks

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Thank you. I have set it up so that around 1mm of the rod is showing when it is in gear 2. Does this 1mm have to be when it is in 2- or 2+, or does it not matter?

I've just tested it and I can move between gears 1, 2 and 3 again, but it is still quite difficult to go from gear 3 to gear 2. Is this normal or how can I fix it so that it is not as hard? Also, I've only had the bike for around 1 week - is this going to happen every week so I will have to continually adjust it?

gizmo1994

You won't have to continually adjust the gears and they require very little attention. You say it is difficult going down from 3 to 2. Are you releasing pedal pressure while you shift? Too much pressure through the pedals will make the shift very difficult. If it is still stiff then maybe just a tiny (teensy) bit more tension in the cable than you already have and test again.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
You won't have to continually adjust the gears and they require very little attention. You say it is difficult going down from 3 to 2. Are you releasing pedal pressure while you shift? Too much pressure through the pedals will make the shift very difficult. If it is still stiff then maybe just a tiny (teensy) bit more tension in the cable than you already have and test again.
Yes, I am not pedaling when shifting on the numbered side. The problem isn't that it is overly stiff, it is that when I press the lever to move down a gear, sometimes it doesn't actually move down, almost like it tries to but then slips off the gear as it is about to change. Then when I try a second time it usually moves down successfully.

Top Bottom