Brompton - NHS - Crowdfunding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Perhaps the question should be... How many NHS staff who previously didn't cycle to work are a) now willing to try cycling to work, b) able to cycle to work, and c) don't already own a bicycle?
There must be a cheaper more worldwide solution than giving bikes to 1000 NHS staff... though Brompton are at least thinking about what they can do...

That's approx £1,000,000 in Crowd funding... that's a lot of Decathlon hybrids... which are better stocked and capable of being shipped ut in massive numbers. £299 retail so Decathlon could probably provide them for £200 wholesale: that's 5000 bikes just in the UK!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-100-urban-hybrid-bike-low-frame-id_8405487.html

roley poley

Über Member
refugees crossing the border in Norway on bikes that are just dumped after the crossing and the UK isn't short of unused bikes either

Gunk

Guru
No they dont, the bigger the wheel the better a bike rides, especially over our potholed streets.
There is two things Brommies are good at, acceleration being they have small wheels, but then you lose inertia quickly and have to keep putting the power down. Also they are excellent at combining cycling with commuting on public transport, because of the small size they pack down to.
The fold is the main point of Bromptons.

I agree, they’ll never replace a full size bike, but the convenience of the fold plus a great fun easy riding experience makes them very endearing. I love mine, it’s been my go to bike over the last couple of weeks.

mustang1

Guru
No they dont, the bigger the wheel the better a bike rides, especially over our potholed streets.
There is two things Brommies are good at, acceleration being they have small wheels, but then you lose inertia quickly and have to keep putting the power down. Also they are excellent at combining cycling with commuting on public transport, because of the small size they pack down to.
The fold is the main point of Bromptons.
Actually I have to say my Brompton rides rather comfortably compared to my 26 inch wheel el-cheapo. I think the suspension cube has a slot to do with it. It surprised me too.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There must be a cheaper more worldwide solution than giving bikes to 1000 NHS staff... though Brompton are at least thinking about what they can do...

That's approx £1,000,000 in Crowd funding... that's a lot of Decathlon hybrids... which are better stocked and capable of being shipped ut in massive numbers. £299 retail so Decathlon could probably provide them for £200 wholesale: that's 5000 bikes just in the UK!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-100-urban-hybrid-bike-low-frame-id_8405487.html
They possibly could. But they have to step up first.

The reason Bromptons are better than df bikes for this is that the trip to work can be split between public transport and riding.
They may have bikes now, but cannot get them on public transport. 500 have signed up, but more are expected.

I also ride a Brompton and find it comfortable and good for carrying kit.

I dont know how many bikes they can make in a day. But I doubt it will be any where near 1000.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

Just to point out Brompton are asking people to buy their bikes through Crowd-funding- they aren't 'stepping up" by donating them.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Less than £1 million as Brompton will not be looking to make a profit out of this. So should be at basic cost.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just to point out Brompton are asking people to buy their bikes through Crowd-funding- they aren't 'stepping up" by donating them.
No. I dont believe that is correct.

"Over 500 NHS staff have registered for the free rental of a Brompton Bike"

" And we plan for this to have a lasting impact beyond the current crisis, afterwards - the bikes will continued to be used by NHS for a nominal maintenance fee (£1 per hire) and some of them will be donated to hospitals to manage as a fleet or for graduate doctors and nurses. Brompton Bike Hire will not profit off any of these hires or bikes produced. "

Archie_tect

I don't know if that makes it better or worse Steve! The bikes still have to be paid for through the Crowdfunding donations.

The rental scheme appears to increase the complexity of the idea..

Last edited:
Top Bottom