Brompton - NHS - Crowdfunding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
That's true Gunk!

I'm getting too cynical about stuff. Time to switch off and switch back on again!

Smudge

Veteran
They were offering free Brompton hire for NHS staff some time ago. I saw it on HotUKdeals a couple of weeks ago and I posted the info on the Coronavirus thread. Very good that they have done this, although i dont know how many will be able to take advantage of it.
But this supplying Bromptons for NHS staff to keep, i'm very sceptical about this, as it seems to be the bikes will be bought totally from donations from the public. Brompton will not only get their name advertised over this, but will be selling bikes that they wouldn't normally be selling through this pandemic and making their profit on them.
If Brompton aren't covering any of the cost themselves, then its purely a business opportunity for them.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm getting too cynical about stuff. Time to switch off and switch back on again!
No I think we are all waking up the the advertising world that we live in, IF Brompton were serious about this they would be making a contribution, for every 5,8,10 (choose a number) crowd funded bike they would GIVE one free, this is not the time to be scalping people.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
They were offering free Brompton hire for NHS staff some time ago. I saw it on HotUKdeals a couple of weeks ago and I posted the info on the Coronavirus thread. Very good that they have done this, although i dont know how many will be able to take advantage of it.
But this supplying Bromptons for NHS staff to keep, i'm very sceptical about this, as it seems to be the bikes will be bought totally from donations from the public. Brompton will not only get their name advertised over this, but will be selling bikes that they wouldn't normally be selling through this pandemic and making their profit on them.
If Brompton aren't covering any of the cost themselves, then its purely a business opportunity for them.
Yes it is a business opportunity. Of course it is. But Brompton have taken the initiative to set this up. If they hadn't, nobody else would have. Brompton will not be selling these bikes. That is made clear on the Crowdfunding page, if you read it. Those that are not donated to the NHS could end up in the Brompton hire fleet. But I dont know.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Good for Brompton. I think it’s a nice gesture. They can’t solve the world’s problems and sort every thing but this will make a difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Smudge

Veteran
Yes it is a business opportunity. Of course it is. But Brompton have taken the initiative to set this up. If they hadn't, nobody else would have. Brompton will not be selling these bikes. That is made clear on the Crowdfunding page, if you read it. Those that are not donated to the NHS could end up in the Brompton hire fleet. But I dont know.

But in effect they will have sold these bikes, they will have been paid for out of the public donations. That money will be going to Brompton for the bikes they make.
This scheme wont cost Brompton anything, in fact it will make them money at a time when they wouldn't normally be selling bikes.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
But in effect they will have sold these bikes, they will have been paid for out of the public donations. That money will be going to Brompton for the bikes they make.
This scheme wont cost Brompton anything, in fact it will make them money at a time when they wouldn't normally be selling bikes.
The CEO states in the article that Brompton could lose money if they do not raise the money as they are going to go ahead with the offer. If you dont want to contribute thats fine.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Decathlon in Spain donated their entire stocks of a full face snorkelling mask that was found to be ideal for use with patients needing oxygen.

https://divernet.com/2020/04/01/decathlon-donates-snorkelling-masks/

French sports retailer Decathlon is to donate its entire stock of Subea Easybreath full-face snorkelling masks to hospitals in Spain, one of the countries worst-affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, according to Spanish press.

Divernet reported on 27 March that Isinnova engineers in Italy had found a way of converting the snorkelling masks into respirators, using 3D printing to make the valves needed to connect them to ventilators.

The breakthrough was seen as a way of tackling a severe shortage of medical CPAP and BIPAP ventilator masks.

Decathlon was initially reported to have been selling the masks for medical use but it is understood that it has now taken them off the market in order to donate existing stocks to hospitals at no charge.

Meanwhile in Britain, I saw a sneering article about a nurse in the UK "forced" to wear the same snorkelling mask because of shortages. I've also seen outraged stories about nurses cutting up binliners to wear as protective aprons - which is exactly what they've been doing in Italy and Spain for weeks. This Brompton story is a bit of a marketing hype, yes, but maybe these stories should be encouraged as examples of everybody doing what they can.

Top Bottom