Brompton - NHS - Crowdfunding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Decathlon in Spain donated their entire stocks of a full face snorkelling mask that was found to be ideal for use with patients needing oxygen.

https://divernet.com/2020/04/01/decathlon-donates-snorkelling-masks/

Meanwhile in Britain, I saw a sneering article about a nurse in the UK "forced" to wear the same snorkelling mask because of shortages. I've also seen outraged stories about nurses cutting up binliners to wear as protective aprons - which is exactly what they've been doing in Italy and Spain for weeks. This Brompton story is a bit of a marketing hype, yes, but maybe these stories should be encouraged as examples of everybody doing what they can.
The valve they'll be fitted with is being 3D printed in the UK, sent to Italy and the masks will be fitted with the valve there.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Here are some of the paragraphs from the article you cannot see.

Two weeks ago, Brompton was approached by St. Bart’s hospital in London, asking if the company could supply bikes to key staff “worried about jumping on cramped tubes or rammed buses,” says Butler-Adams.

Even if the company raises the required funds to make the bikes, it would still lose money, adds Butler-Adams.
“We have zero footfall in our [company] stores, sales are down by 35-40%, about a third of our staff are self-isolating, and we have major supply-chain issues, but doing nothing [during the crisis] is not an option.”
He adds: “We are digging deep, and we are going to invest in those bikes. We’re going to make no profit; in fact, we’re going to make a loss because we’re going to be piling all in, but we need a bit of help [from the public] if we’re going to get these bikes out—we need people to contribute, it doesn’t matter how small.”

I asked how many of those NHS staffers requesting bikes might be new to cycling?
“It’s hard to say for certain, but there is definitely a decent quantity who are new to bicycling as a mode of transport,” replied the affable CEO.
“That has to be a positive for when this crisis is over.”
Looking to the future, he adds: “This could eventually have a massive effect on how people travel in cities.”

The bikes supplied by Brompton to the NHS will be loaned out to key workers for free.
“We plan for this to have a lasting impact beyond the current crisis,” states the campaign, hosted on Crowdfunder.
“Afterwards, the bikes will continue to be used by NHS for a nominal maintenance fee of £1 per hire, and some of them will be donated to hospitals to manage as a fleet or for graduate doctors and nurses. Brompton Bike Hire will not profit off any of these hires or bikes produced.”
Any additional money raised beyond what can be used by the factory will be donated to NHS Charitable trusts

Gunk

Guru
Thanks Steve, as I posted earlier we need to take the benefit of the doubt before jumping to (negative) conclusions.

Smudge

Veteran
Well i dont buy it at all..... companies are first and foremost a business. Their main concern is sales and profits, especially at a time like this when they dont have any.
Why dont they start a charity scheme to give the money direct to NHS staff ?.... then they could buy whatever bike they like..... nooo they wouldn't do that, because Brompton wouldn't make anything out of it.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Good for Brompton!! They are doing something positive which contrasts with many of their moaning cynical detractors.

D

Deleted member 26715

Good for Brompton!! They are doing something positive which contrasts with many of their moaning cynical detractors.
Sorry I still disagree, nothing in the statement that @steveindenmark has put leads me to believe this is nothing to do with charity, but more to do with attempting to lever the situation to their advantage to continue production. Yes they claim they will lose money, but I suspect they would lose a lot more if they weren't being paid to build these bikes, they have just found a good way to put a spin on it. Yes I am a cynic, but I have worked with these types of people for a lot of years.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Sorry I still disagree, nothing in the statement that @steveindenmark has put leads me to believe this is nothing to do with charity, but more to do with attempting to lever the situation to their advantage to continue production. Yes they claim they will lose money, but I suspect they would lose a lot more if they weren't being paid to build these bikes, they have just found a good way to put a spin on it. Yes I am a cynic, but I have worked with these types of people for a lot of years.
You simply don’t know Butler- Adams’ motivation - you are just guessing. Be negative and that’s fine. I prefer to think the best of people.

D

Deleted member 26715

You simply don’t know Butler- Adams’ motivation - you are simply guessing. Be negative and that’s fine. I prefer to think the best of people.
Yes you are correct I don't, but I have worked with enough people who have the drive to build a brand & succeed to know they are not wired the same way that ordinary people are, they are motivated to find an advantage in every situation. I hope that you are correct & I am wrong, although I doubt it, I have found that it's best not to have to high expectations in entrepreneurs that way you don't get disappointed.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well i dont buy it at all..... companies are first and foremost a business. Their main concern is sales and profits, especially at a time like this when they dont have any.
Why dont they start a charity scheme to give the money direct to NHS staff ?.... then they could buy whatever bike they like..... nooo they wouldn't do that, because Brompton wouldn't make anything out of it.
Because the NHS approached Brompton for the bikes not for handouts. They were not asking for anything else.

.If you read the Crowdfunding page instead of being a miserable cycnic, you would have understood that. You dont buy it. It doesnt matter. The fund is almost up to a hundred grand. They will manage without your help.

Smudge

Veteran
Because the NHS approached Brompton for the bikes not for handouts. They were not asking for anything else.

.If you read the Crowdfunding page instead of being a miserable cycnic, you would have understood that. You dont buy it. It doesnt matter. The fund is almost up to a hundred grand. They will manage without your help.

It was Brompton that approached the NHS, not the NHS approaching Brompton.

Top Bottom