Brompton Project Part Two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Just over three years ago I rebuilt a Mk2 1990’s SWB Brompton

IMG-0830.jpg

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/another-brompton-project.257797/

As soon as I sold it I regretted it and I’ve been on the hunt for a suitable replacement since the beginning of this year. On Friday one popped up just down the road In Newbury. It is a later (2011) version which I wanted, very scruffy and neglected but very sensible money.

IMG_1369.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

IMG_1371.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1373.jpeg

I‘ve already been on Brilliant Bikes website and spent just over £70 on the bits it needs (edit, this was just the start!), and also picked up a cheap set of new Marathons off eBay. (Removed from a brand new bike)

This should be a nice easy project, mainly a lot of elbow grease! it rides surprisingly well - I will be doing the front basket mod again and I’ve already got a nice vintage Brooks B17 ready to fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
A lot of stuff arrived this morning from Brilliant Bikes. First job was to fit a replacement clip for the folding handlebar stem and fit the disc which pushes against the seat post as the fold was not locking In place. Now works perfectly.

Ended up ordering even more stuff today as realised I needed more bits to finish it. hopefully everything will be here for the weekend.

Costs are rising but should be around the £550 mark finished which is around what I estimated. It’ll be a well sorted bike for scruffy used money.

IMG_1380.jpeg

IMG_1378.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Entering everything into my Excel spreadsheet it’s interesting how much in three years the parts prices have increased. For example Mudguards were £10 (for the blades) and are now £15. 33% is a big increase!

But the bikes themselves have definitely dropped in value. I’ve paid the same for one I bought three years ago which was in much worse shape.

Perhaps the result of less people commuting

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Just over three years ago I rebuilt a Mk2 1990’s SWB Brompton

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/another-brompton-project.257797/

As soon as I sold it I regretted it and I’ve been on the hunt for a suitable replacement since the beginning of this year. On Friday one popped up just down the road In Newbury. It is a later version which I wanted, very scruffy and neglected but very sensible money.

View attachment 689591

View attachment 689592

View attachment 689593

View attachment 689594

View attachment 689595

I‘ve already been on Brilliant Bikes website and spent just over £70 on the bits it needs (edit, this was just the start!), and also picked up a cheap set of new Marathons off eBay. (Removed from a brand new bike)

This should be a nice easy project, mainly a lot of elbow grease! it rides surprisingly well - I will be doing the front basket mod again and I’ve already got a nice vintage Brooks B17 ready to fit.

Love seeing older, neglected bikes having a make over and a new lease of life.
😀

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Love seeing older, neglected bikes having a make over and a new lease of life.
😀

I love doing them, had a break for around 12 months so chomping at the bit to start this one. It’s a keeper so I’ll end up spending far too much

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Tyres arrived today, so I’ve got almost everything now to start cleaning and rebuilding.

IMG-1385.jpg

Only problem I’ve had so far is that the missing plastic chainguard for my fixed 50T chain wheel is no longer available, I’ve rang around some Brompton dealers and they’ve all suggested the same and that is to go for the Brommiemods aluminium replacement, I’ve ordered one but it is an eye watering £33 :cry:

IMG-0829.jpg

Last edited:

cheys03

Veteran
Interesting - is the aluminium chainguard lighter than the plastic, or heavier? I’m hoping lighter to help justify the spend, though perhaps £17/g might be difficult to forgive :whistle:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Interesting - is the aluminium chainguard lighter than the plastic, or heavier? I’m hoping lighter to help justify the spend, though perhaps £17/g might be difficult to forgive :whistle:

My mistake they are actually steel so much heavier, but Hobsons choice

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Started this afternoon, decided to go front to back so first job was to clean and service the front wheel, fit a new tyre and mudguard. Clean the forks and front brakes.

IMG_1391.jpeg

IMG_1392.jpeg

IMG_1393.jpeg

Underneath the bike is better condition than I originally thought.

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1403.jpeg

IMG_1402.jpeg

IMG_1401.jpeg

I also replaced the knackered rollers for the later Ezywheels

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_1397.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Still lots to do, next job is the drivetrain, replace the rear mudguard and clean/service the rear wheel, I’ll then service the headset.

I have also ordered some later style levers, once they arrive I’ll replace all the cables.

IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1400.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I managed to grab a couple of hours in the sunshine, removed the chain (threw it in the bin) and whipped off the crankset

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1426.jpeg

The chainwheel was filthy probably had probably never been cleaned. I deep cleaned everything with wire wool and WD40 (my usual method) and also cleaned up the pedals.

I fitted the custom chain guard and although it was crazy expensive, pleased with the results

IMG_1427.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

I also stripped the Pentaclip (that was also filthy) and fitted my Brooks Competition saddle.

IMG_1429.jpeg

Over the bank holiday I’ll strip and service the rear wheel and fit the new brake levers, should be virtually done, although I’m never really finished, it keeps on going!

Last edited:
Top Bottom