Brompton Project Part Two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
So all finished!

I went for a very quick test ride just around the block, and it’s really nice, smooth and much nicer to ride than my old Mk2.

IMG_1515.jpeg

IMG_1516.jpeg

IMG_1517.jpeg

IMG_1518.jpeg

IMG_1519.jpeg

IMG_1520.jpeg

IMG_1521.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Total cost (including the bike) £625 - slightly over budget but this was pushed up with the custom chain guard and the replacement brake levers.

Parts list

IMG_0849.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Nice. Watched some of the Paul Brodie vids on Cubs, as well as others, during the lockdown. Will you be covering it on here, or is it for a different forum?

It is a 1960 Sports Cub and was professionally restored about 7 years ago to an exceptionally high standard, I bought it with my FIL and it has just sat in his garage since before the pandemic. As he is getting older and will never ride it, I’ve now bought out his share so it just needs detailing and recommissioning. I’m looking forward to pottering around the Oxfordshire lanes over the summer on it, it’ll be a bit of a change from my BMW S1000R!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
First proper ride out this morning, it squeaked yesterday but a drop of oil on the main hinge has sorted it out. The hinge clamps are pretty worn so I have ordered a set.

It rides like a new bike, super-smooth and much tighter than my old Mk1. The revamped brakes are spot on, the later levers make them much nicer to use.

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1524.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Once I got back I marked the seatpost and fitted the ingenious little plastic insert. It allows the seat to be raised to the correct height each time it is unfolded, I also cleaned the insert and tube with brake cleaner as recommended.

IMG_1514.jpeg

IMG_0828.jpeg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've rebuilt four that had been neglected. Only one had any permanent damage - a really worn-smooth L3 where the lower head cup had stretched the head tube. I used gap-filling Loctite and it's still being ridden like that.

I always rebuild the hubs unless they're SRF3/BSR, in which case I replace them with UK-era AW internals for an easier life.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The new hinge clamps arrived today and we were easily fitted.

What also arrived was the lightweight storage bag, £11off eBay, perfect for the car and for keeping the dust off over the winter.

IMG_1541.jpeg

IMG_1542.jpeg

Last edited:

roley poley

Veteran
A little packet arrived from China this morning

View attachment 695111

Clever little gadgets which just hold the clamps in place, I fitted them and a quick test fold reveals that they really work, I would recommend them only £5.20!

View attachment 695110

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20417232...HQw_5aGRFG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Fancy a pair of "springy thingies" myself the price has expanded in our summer heat to £6.24 ...still worth it as it stops the twiddle fiddle fit faff around

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Fancy a pair of "springy thingies" myself the price has expanded in our summer heat to £6.24 ...still worth it as it stops the twiddle fiddle fit faff around

I’ve been using it this morning and have folded it a couple of times. They’re well worth buying

Top Bottom