Brompton Project Part Two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
This thread is making me itch... Must resist buying another project Brompton...

Nice work dude, this is going to look lovely šŸ˜

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
This thread is making me itch... Must resist buying another project Brompton...

Nice work dude, this is going to look lovely šŸ˜

The problem is John, they get under your skin, I enjoy working on them more than any other bike and I also love riding them, they're just a giggle, like an old Raleigh Chopper!

Your work on your Brommie was epic, another level, you need to do another!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I found some time this evening (the benefit of working from home on a Tuesday) and fitted the new brake levers, I also replaced the cables and brake shoes. Sorry but the ergon grips have also been replaced (not a fan)

I noticed that the wheels need truing, theyā€™re not bad but Iā€™ll do them anyway. I couldnā€™t resist fitting my used Brompton rear light!

IMG_1445.jpeg

IMG_1444.jpeg

IMG_1443.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I spent an hour in the garage this evening and fitted the new rear mudguard. I deep cleaned the rear triangle, thereā€™s no rust so underneath the years of grease and road grime thankfully itā€™s a goodun.

IMG_1450.jpeg

IMG_1447.jpeg

I managed to lose one of the tiny nuts which attach the rear roller, thankfully I found one in my box of bits.

IMG_1448.jpeg

final job will be to clean and service the rear wheel plus fit the other new tyre, Iā€™ve already stripped and rebuilt the tensioner which surprisingly was serviceable, the Sturmey Archer selector however does need changing, the chain looks as if it is ready to let go.

IMG_1449.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
A couple of items arrived today, I couldnā€™t resist a trial fit. The basket is excellent - folds completely flat when not in use.

IMG_1453.jpeg

IMG_1454.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg

The genuine Brompton pump fits perfectly in the rear triangle

IMG_1455.jpeg

thatā€˜s it for this evening, I am going to leave the worst job (rear wheel) until the bank holiday weekend, Iā€™m now into my second beer instead!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
However all went wrong when I fitted the chain, it was too short so I have had order a 102 link instead, should arrive midweek.

Edit - picked one up from a lovely enthusiast run LBS in Cirencester today, so have cancelled the order and will fit either this evening or in the morning

IMG_1469.jpeg

But looks good.

IMG_1470.jpeg

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Looks ACE! DO NOT SELL THIS ONE! They are ( as you very well know) great bikes. We are currently on a mini tour on ours.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Looks ACE! DO NOT SELL THIS ONE! They are ( as you very well know) great bikes. We are currently on a mini tour on ours.

As I said earlier as soon as I sold the last one I regretted it. Iā€™ve done this one to keep, thatā€™s why I have been so thorough with it (and spent a small fortune!) Just picked up a chain so once thatā€™s fitted - a maiden test ride!

Glad to hear that youā€™re enjoying yours Carl!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Ran in to my first problem today, the 3/32 chain I bought didnā€™t fit the rear sprocket, I then realised that the bike was fitted with an original 1/8" sprocket that was discontinued (in 2017) To replace the chain you need the 3/32" sprocket which was introduced in 2012, anyway it was only Ā£14, I should have ordered one at the same time I ordered the chain. Every day is a school day!

IMG_0843.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
It was a lovely evening so grabbed a cup of tea and decided to finish it off, only took about 20 minutes.

IMG_1511.jpeg

With the rear sprocket removed I cleaned behind with WD40 and fine fire wool.

IMG_1512.jpeg

Fitting the replacement was very simple, just one large circlip

IMG_1513.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom