Brompton Project Part Two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The bike is creaking and squeaking slightly. I have had another go at all the hinges, lubricated them again and used a Stanley blade to clean the joints (which has worked) I also adjusted the main hinge, which I think was overtightened.

One thing I didn’t do was to check the headset, so today I dropped the forks and someone had been there before as there was plenty of grease and it looked loved, I cleaned it all again, re-greased and adjusted it.

With the work on the hinges and headset, it is much quieter but not perfect.

One thing that may be causing problems is the original FAG BB, it was tight and didn’t spin very well, I did lube it but it is at the end of its life. The early one piece cranksets take an 119mm ISO BB which is no longer produced for Brompton, however I have sourced an alternative from Italy and thanks to @berlinonaut and his generous technical advice, I have ordered it. (£23.00) The other alternative would have been a complete new later spider crankset.

IMG_0888.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Quick update, I’ve had plenty of use out of it and it’s perfect for popping down to the shops, the Brompton basket bag was a great purchase. I still have a couple of small jobs to do on it (still waiting for the replacement BB to arrive) but it’s perfectly rideable.

This morning was very hot though!

IMG_1635.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Quick update, I’ve had plenty of use out of it and it’s perfect for popping down to the shops, the Brompton basket bag was a great purchase. I still have a couple of small jobs to do on it (still waiting for the replacement BB to arrive) but it’s perfectly rideable.

This morning was very hot though!

View attachment 696263

Stealth bike. 🥷

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Stealth bike. 🥷

I’ve always liked the satin black finish with silver components, however the black finish shows up every mark.

Now this one is virtually finished, It has ended up as a perfect pub and shopping bike (that I don’t need to be particularly precious about), I am now on the look for another (ideally black) 1990’s Mk2 (I really regret selling the one I rebuilt) they do pop up from time to time for fairly sensible money.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I think I’ve managed to eradicate the squeak, I realised riding home yesterday that when I came out of the seat it stopped, so I cleaned the suspension block with WD40 and put some oil in to the rear triangle hinge and for now it’s all silent running.

It’s getting plenty of use, mainly to the pub and back!

image.jpg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Is the bike sitting on the back mudguard there?

No plenty of clearance - the mudguard is unmarked

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A 110mm JIS BB works in place of the 119mm ISO BB. I have tried it and both taper engagement and chainline are very good. Obviously Brompton want you to buy a new chainset.

Top Bottom