Brompton Project Part Two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Well the replacement BB was a big fail, the threads are different so I put the old one back in and for the time being I’ll just live with it. There’s no play in it, it just ideally needs changing, it’s a bit gritty.

What is really frustrating is that I sold a NOS FAG BB a couple of years ago for next to nothing, I didn’t use it on the previous project. Hopefully a saved eBay search will yield another.

But another quick ride out to the pub this evening and it rides really well, silent since I sorted out the suspension block. Recently it’s been the only bike I’ve been riding, perfect for bombing around Oxford, so glad I pulled the trigger on this one, it’s great to have a Brompton in my life again. This one is definitely a keeper.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It’s a versatile little bike, I’ve hardly ridden any of my other bikes , especially the road bike, it’s hanging in the garage like an inanimate Miss Haversham, all sad and lonely, covered in cobwebs.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
A quick update, I’ve sourced the correct paint and the AliExpress stuff arrived today, the decal is a job for another day but I’m pleased with BB protector

IMG_1661.jpeg

IMG_1663.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I‘ve got no use for one, its only used for going to pub and shops!

I’ve no use for one either, but since getting it, I’ve barely ridden my other bikes.

Stop selling the idea to me.......😅

Tenkaykev

Guru
Reading about the various methods for protecting the frame contact ponts, specifically where the front hook drops on to the frame when folding. I wondered whether a repurposed piece of aluminium beer can would be up to the task. A small piece of double sided tape should hold it in place. There's be the advantage of choosing a personalised design from the multitude of beers available. 🤔

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Reading about the various methods for protecting the frame contact ponts, specifically where the front hook drops on to the frame when folding. I wondered whether a repurposed piece of aluminium beer can would be up to the task. A small piece of double sided tape should hold it in place. There's be the advantage of choosing a personalised design from the multitude of beers available. 🤔

No reason why that wouldn’t work, edges may be a bit sharp though

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

I was thinking similar; one idea being to sandwich a piece of ally sheet between some clear frame protection tape - one to separate the sheet from the frame, the other to retain it. Of course this would cut down on the area the tape has to adhere to, so might not last as long as one could hope.
Another as you say is to use double sided tape; my only reservation with this would be ease of removal. On top of that, aluminium likes to oxidise so could get tatty pretty quickly..

Top Bottom