Brompton Project Part Two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
It’s funny how the smallest jobs make the biggest difference

before

IMG_1752.jpeg

After

IMG_1753.jpeg

IMG_1754.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Silver frame decal arrived today, a big improvement. Some other gratuitous pictures taken this evening.

IMG_1758.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1761.jpeg

IMG_1762.jpeg

12boy

Guru
per the late great Sheldon Brown ISO crank arms go on JIS bottom brackets fine although the reverse doesn't. I have a 118 Shimano BB on my 2010 and although I later moved the crank arms to my XooterSwift it als has a JIS BB and works perfectly also. Don't know what a Xooter Swift is....here you go

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
per the late great Sheldon Brown ISO crank arms go on JIS bottom brackets fine although the reverse doesn't. I have a 118 Shimano BB on my 2010 and although I later moved the crank arms to my XooterSwift it als has a JIS BB and works perfectly also. Don't know what a Xooter Swift is....here you go

If a NOS FAG BB doesn’t pop up on eBay I may bite the bullet and replace the whole lot. But at the moment it’s fine, no play and still smooth.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Dealt with the lights today, finally a package arrived from China so I could mount my front light that I already had (although after holding limited charge overnight, this is now knackered and I’ve had a to order a replacement - a whole £8!!!)

IMG_1790.jpeg

IMG_1791.jpeg

for under a tenner, the bracket is great and replaces the ugly front reflector.

IMG_1792.jpeg

fitted its a nice neat solution,

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_1795.jpeg

I already have the Brompton rear light fitted so once the replacement arrives, I have some neat, very inexpensive lighting ready for when the nights draw in.

IMG_1793.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Cheeky short ride for a coffee, I love the new shifters, they’re so much nicer to use. The bike is now almost perfect, it rides very smoothly with no rattles. I need to find another one now, hopefully I may have something in the wings, another Mk2.

IMG_1796.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The replacement front light arrived today, only £9.15 from Aliexpress

Same fitting as a Cateye

IMG_1816.jpeg

IMG_1815.jpeg

Very pleased with it, nice inexpensive solution

IMG_1812.jpeg

IMG_1814.jpeg

IMG_1813.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
These sort of projects never seem to finally come to a conclusion, latest purchase is this, since a kid I have always loved dynamo lighting.

IMG_1252.jpeg

I have managed to find a PDF of the installation instruction which looks fairly straightforward, I have been meaning to fit one for a while to replace the battery lighting,but the prices for a good used kit have been a bit silly, managed to source this off FB marketplace for a sensible price and it’s complete with the wiring harness.

Last edited:

EckyH

I have managed to find a PDF of the installation instruction which looks fairly straightforward
The Brompton documentation for the dynamo light installation is fairly good - from my view as a person who does technical documentation professionally and a Brompton owner who has been installed the dynamo light on a Brompton following that documentation.
Imho it's a good idea to read the four pages of instructions more than once before starting the installation.
As a simple minded person I need good documentation. The dynamo light on my Brompton works - front and rear light. Apparently the documentation is Eckyproof. ;)

Good luck with your installation!

E.

EckyH

I have doubtless thrown many of your works in the bin unread over the years.
Oh. I wasn't aware that you and I work for the same German financial data centre where my colleagues and I are responsible for the internal documentation... ;)

Nevertheless: a remarkable amount of documentation I've seen is in the grey zone between useless and poor. Probably all the companies have at least one person who must write the docs, because the the other people in that team is convinced that that person would do more harm in every other job...

Back to topic: the Brompton docs I read don't fall in the "bad documentation" category: it's understandable even for a non native speaker, the structure guides through the steps in a logical way, there are useful graphics.

E.

dimrub

Great project. I too can't stop playing with my Brompton. And I too couldn't stand the rabbit ears shifter, and ended up replacing it - albeit for a different model.

Top Bottom