Brompton Project Part Two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I had some time this morning whilst Mrs Gunk popped out to see her Mum. I decided to fit the dynamo kit. The garage has got far too much in it but I managed to find some room for a stand.

IMG_2752.jpeg

It took about an hour and quarter to fit, very straightforward, in fact the hardest part was swapping the front tyre over!

I used the Brompton installation instructions, but because the kit was used it was easy to see where the loom had been previously fitted.

IMG_2754.jpeg

IMG_2756.jpeg

The rear light has a rechargeable battery so it stays on when you come to a stop, all clever stuff!

checked the fold and all perfectly OK, however you can feel the additional weight when lifting it.

IMG_2757.jpeg

For only £90 IMO it was an upgrade well worth doing. With retirement looming in a couple of months and planning to go down to just one car for a while, it should get plenty of use.

IMG_2758.jpeg

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'm a dynamo hub convert, recently fitted a SON hub to my gravel bike to use as a commuter. That Brompton is looking fab 👌

I'll have another one day :smile:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Nice work :smile:

I like the idea of a dynamo, altough the weight / wiring / cost put me off..

I fitted the Brompton kit a few years ago and thought it was a bargain as it included the new dynamo wheel, wiring loom and lights.
I swapped out the kit front light for a more powerful Lumotech one that was on sale, and eventually swapped the rear dynamo light for one with a " quench " button to discharge the float capacitor and turn the light off immediately for when I'm on a railway platform.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I fitted the Brompton kit a few years ago and thought it was a bargain as it included the new dynamo wheel, wiring loom and lights.
I swapped out the kit front light for a more powerful Lumotech one that was on sale, and eventually swapped the rear dynamo light for one with a " quench " button to discharge the float capacitor and turn the light off immediately for when I'm on a railway platform.

Sounds expensive!

roley poley

Über Member
Still running my old 2002 T3 on its bottle dynamo but today it only powers the front light on an LED bulb ...the rear is covered by clip on red battery power Smart 1W led on the seat post in a higher more visible position than on the low point of the rear rack ...

Top Bottom