Brompton project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You might end up with a 'Brompto.n' decal.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Seatpost sleeve procedure, or at least the one that worked for me:

1. Obtain new sleeve pack. This may no longer be possible as Brompton have stopped supplying most spares to end users.

2. Select the one that fits. One has a locating lug and one doesn't. It depends on the age of your frame.

3. Break out every last remnant of the old sleeve and scrape away the hardened glue. If you are having the frame resprayed, now is the time - blasting really gets the last bits of glue off.

4. Glue in the new sleeve with something like this:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unibond-2146098-Repair-Extreme/dp/B000O1GVXK
It needs to be flexible as well as strong.

5. Wipe all traces of glue from the inside of the sleeve and seat tube and clamp the seatpost in place. Leave for 24 hours.

6. This should be all you need to do. Brompton say the sleeve requires reaming after fitting but mine is a perfect fit as it is. Step 3 is very important, though.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Not much in the way of progress on this in the last week or so - I'm hoping to get out in to the garage again later so may get some more done this evening, if not hopefully tomorrow :smile: I'm teetotal so not fear of a new years hangover :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Ok so I've had another play this evening :laugh:

Decided to get the rear triangle finished. There were only a couple of things to do - remove the pump brackets and the old gear bracket... The pump would no longer fit due to the rear brake location and the gear bracket is not needed due to the move to Alfine 11 Di2 :okay:

So first the pump brackets... I hacksawed the bulk of the metal off first and then filed it back flush.

Pretty striaghforward and fairly quick :okay: Next I did the same to the gear braze-on...

Then a clean and degrease, followed by a few coats of etch primer then in to the vice to dry :okay:

Nice to know it will go in to the new year with no bare metal 😄 I might even get some colour on tomorrow :ohmy:

Gunk

Guru
Good progress, looks really good.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Another few hours spent on the Brompton this morning. I flatted back the primer and decided to whack some colour on :okay: I'm starting with the bright blue and will probably do the darkest colour next, finishing with the sand colour.

I was really pleased with how well the colour went on, it covered well with no runs ^_^

I did the stem first and started with a quick coat inside the hinge. The stem will remain this colour so it's important the hinge gets a good coat :okay:

Once that had sat for 15 mins or so I rotated it and sprayed the rest.

Happy with that! I'm interested to know what colour it cures, slightly different I would imagine but it looks good so far!

With that a success I went ahead and sprayed all the other bits which are now hanging in the garage drying...

Next job will be to make some templates for the camo blobs and start cutting out vinyl, might take a while :laugh:

12boy

Guru
Are you painting the seat post? And, a total of 4 coats of paint plus clear coat at the end? And you will leave the vinyl on each color until done?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Are you painting the seat post? And, a total of 4 coats of paint plus clear coat at the end? And you will leave the vinyl on each color until done?

I'm not painting the seatpost, I have a new titanium one to fit. I'm using the old post to hold the frame while I paint it.

It will be a total of 2 coats of primer, 4 coats of paint and probably 2 or 3 coats of satin laquer at the end. Lots of paint :laugh: The vinyl stays on until all the colour coats are applied then will get peeled off before laquering :okay:

Top Bottom