Brompton project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I’m extremely curious about this paint job, your work on other projects has been excellent but I’m not sure I like the idea of the camouflage effect. I hope I am wrong.
Me too... I'd be happy to be wrong though!

12boy

Guru
I live in a part of the world where camo is everywhere including pink and gray camo for ladies' concealed carry automatics and their lingerie. I don't groove on it so much and I like things simple to the point of removing decals if they aren't clearcoated. But, if the OP likes it more power to him. I'm sure it will be done well.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'm doing it more for the challenge than the finished effect to be honest. I've done solid colour, I've done masked off lugs, so now I'm trying a pattern :laugh:

Not that I don't think it will look pretty cool if I can get it right, but we shall see :laugh:

I've just spent far more time than I'd like to admit carefully cutting out the Brompton text from a pair of new decals I bought... I was then able to carefully re-use the wax paper backing to keep the spacing correct...

With the individual letters now on the backing paper I could fairly easily transfer them on to the frame to use as a mask...

Once the rest of the colours are all on I'll peel it off along with the camo masks to reveal the brompton logo in blue - unless I mess it up before then :laugh::okay: I'm going to start cutting out camo blobs now :wacko::laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Cutting the blobs out with a craft knife isn't quite as big a pain as I thought it would be but still takes some time :laugh:

Anyway, she didnt stay blue for long :wacko::laugh:

I forgot to put the sheet back over the vice, which is now a lovely shade of brown :whistle::laugh: Fortunately I haven't forgotten to move the other bikes out of the way yet, that would be an upsetting error :laugh:

That's all for today, I'll hopefully get a chance to cut some more blobs out and put the next colour coat on tomorrow evening after work ^_^ I'll be masking more blobs off for the next few coats as I want more of the brown and yellow than the blue in the final colourscheme :smile:

Gunk

Guru
Wow, I thought I moved on at a pace, you’re rocking on with it today! :notworthy:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Another evening, another colour :laugh: The rear triangle needed another coat of brown but once that was done I cracked on masking up the main frame with the little blobs I'd painstakingly cut out in advance :laugh: I thought I'd done enough to finish the paintjob but alas no, I'll need at least another full A4 sheet, if not two :rolleyes::laugh:

Here's the main frame masked up ready for the Sand Yellow coat...

I have no idea if I'm putting the right number on, all I know is I want slightly more yellow and white than I do brown so I'll mask it up slightly more next time and hopefully that will get the balance about right :laugh: Here it is again after some Sand Yellow paint...

And here you can see three of the four colours that probably shouldn't have ever been put together, together :wacko::laugh: (althought the forks are quite far away so you may have to squint)...

I guess I'll crack on with more camo blobs this evening :wacko::laugh: I'll get the forks masked and painted later hopefully but the rear triangle will have to wait until tomorrow now, I don't like the thought of masking over fresh paint and ruining it :laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I reckon it will work if done well.

"Done well" can be taken as read with the OP, so it's a thumbs up from me.

Reminds me of the work done by Dave Kindig on his Kindig Customs car show on the telly.

He also takes transfers and graphics to another level.

Top Bottom