Brompton project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks good, although there is quite a lot going on.

Have you thought about leaving the forks and rear triangle a plain colour?

That would give it a factory look.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Heres the frame with the Brooks Cambrium saddle and grip that helped me decide the colours - I think they go pretty well together, pleased with that :okay:

I expect the laquer will alter the look slightly, probably darken it up a shade. I cant see that being a problem though ^_^

@Pale Rider I have considered leaving the forks and triangle solid colour but I'm not sure what colour that might be. I'll continue with the same camo pattern for now, theres always the option to flat them back and paint over the top if it doesnt look right :okay:

I'm quite looking forward to getting it built up now, although there are several challenges still to come once the paint is finished :laugh: Mounting the Di2 battery internally for one, plus the dynamo light mounts and wiring... More fun :laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My suggestion for a plain colour would be to pick up one of the colours in the transfers, possibly the blue.

Cammoing all of the bike will give it more impact.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
You know, I thought the baby poop yellow and the impacted stool brown was disgusting, but I have to say I have changed my mind seeing the end result. That is really nice, or as my kids would say...dope bitchin. I should have known you knew what you were doing.

I've got to admit, I was getting quite worried by the time I got to the baby poop yellow... :laugh:

I've just got the Oyster White on the forks and triangle. I'll let that dry while we pop out for lunch and peel the vinyl off later this afternoon :okay:

All being well that should be the last of the colour coats - just a bit of wet sanding and laquering to do now!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's looking really good. Personally I would try to get it as hot as possible before building it up, to properly outgas and harden the paint. The traditional low-tech way to do this is to put it in a tent made from black bin bags and leave it in the sun all day, but that only works in summer. Can you borrow any IR heat lamps?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've been thinking about this too. I'm wondering if I can put it in our 3d printer at work for a few hours, it heats the build envelope up to 90 degrees. Alternatively we have an oven in the workshop but it's a bit dirty... I'm sure theres something I can do though :okay:

Top Bottom