Brompton project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
More parts built up :okay: The multiple pre-paint builds have certainly helped as it's gone together very well so far ^_^

Itll need to come apart again to go in for the rear hinge replacement and seat post sleeve fitting but not far off a finished bike now! Next job is to measure up for Di2 wire lengths and get them ordered. While I wait for them I'll have to work out how to mount the battery in the main frame tube :okay:

Gunk

Guru
That’s starting to look like a bike

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I did some work on connecting up the Di2 gubbins today. I started by connecting all the bits together on the bench to check it was all working. It wasn't :laugh: I suppose I deserved that after preaching about Di2 reliability in another thread :laugh: I connected it to the PC and it reported back an embarrassing error - the Alfine screen unit I'd chosen wasnt compatible with the new battery. I should have checked, but there you go. I'm now on the look out for a new screen, it looks like the old style XTR unit is compatible with my unusual setup. Anyway all the other components reported back a clean bill of health so I went about fitting them :laugh:

I fed the cables through the hole I had previously drilled in the frame and connected the battery, via an internal junction box :okay:

I then used my standard method of securing cables inside tubes to hold it all in place - cable ties :laugh:

I leave the tails long so they spring against the inside of the tube and hold things in place, preventing rattles :laugh: It also has the benefit of being easy to retrieve as and when needed :okay:

Two cables exit the main tube - one goes forward to the bars and will connect to the new screen unit and shifter. The second runs back through the chainstay to the shift motor on the hub...

I've checked and it all still folds :laugh: Just need to scour eBay for a new screen now before I can finish the Di2 install off... :wacko:

I'm popping in to the lbs tomorrow to get the seatpost sleeve fitted, exciting times :becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Looking really good, did you set a budget for the build?

Thanks, I'm really pleased with it.

I didnt set a budget as such, but I have tried to ensure that the spend doesnt outweigh the bikes finished value. I dont particularly want to sell it, but if it doesnt get used it will likely end up going to a new home to make space for the next project :okay:

Top Bottom