Brompton project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Most of the laquer is on now :okay: Forks, triangle and stem have had 4 coats and I'm happy with the finish so they're pretty much done, just need some time and heat to cure fully. The main frame has now had 3 coats but the last of them bloomed in a few places so I'll keep an eye on that. With any luck the next coat will reactivate the last layer of lacquer enough to fix it, otherwise I'll have to sand it back lightly in a few spots :rolleyes:

I'll try and stick the fourth coat on the main frame later after it's warmed up a bit in the house :okay:

To be honest there are lots of imperfections with the paint when you look up close but it still looks ace from more than about a foot away which is perfectly good enough for me :okay::laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If, as seems possible, you put a coat over one that had not fully cured it will now take a long time to cure at room temperature.

We are all impatient to see this project progress, but I would be inclined not to put any more paint or clear on for a week or two.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
It's possible, but I've left it at least half an hour between clear coats and it was touch dry 🤷‍♂️ I'll have a look at it later and see how the land lies. When I last popped upstairs much of the cloudiness had dispersed so I think all is well, just needs a bit of time as you say :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
This time of year is really not ideal for painting vehicles in an unheated garage environment. Anything that is small enough to take indoors is best taken indoors, so long as you can stand the smell of the solvents!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's possible, but I've left it at least half an hour between clear coats and it was touch dry 🤷‍♂️ I'll have a look at it later and see how the land lies. When I last popped upstairs much of the cloudiness had dispersed so I think all is well, just needs a bit of time as you say :okay:

It looks like all should be well.

Does it get a final polish or does one not do that with lacquer?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Pleased to report the lacquer is completely clear now :becool: Panic over :laugh: It's 13 degrees and 78% humidity in the garage - I've painted in worse but the conditions are not optimal for sure. If I was painting solid colour and high gloss I would have had a heater going for a few hours before I started :okay:

Tenkaykev

Guru
How about fitting one of the white suspension blocks that come as standard on the B75?

Brilliant Bikes put up a YouTube video a few days ago comparing the various blocks.

Top Bottom