Brompton Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
I have recently bought a 6 speed . Is there any reason the derailure is virtually horizontal ? As other with less gears are virtually vertical

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, it's mainly to tidy the chain when the bike is folded, and the derailleur function is a srcondary feature. If you add more chain, the arm will run out of travel and the chain will flop about after folding the bike.

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Yes, it's mainly to tidy the chain when the bike is folded, and the derailleur function is a srcondary feature. If you add more chain, the arm will run out of travel and the chain will flop about after folding the bike.
Thanks for that , reason I ask is I've put a smaller chain ring on

gizmo1994

Smaller chainring? Did you also take a couple of links out of the chain or buy a chain to match the new chainring size?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Smaller chainring? Did you also take a couple of links out of the chain or buy a chain to match the new chainring size?

I swapped out the 50 for a 44 on my Brompton. Ran it for a while with the standard chain to see how I got on with it. The chain pensioner took up the slack and there were no issues with it at all. I did eventually remove a couple of links when I decided to keep the 44 on permanently.

Its a clever design. If only they would sort out the plastic gear levers and awful pedals.

pedals easily changed, how many bikes come with those awful plastic pedals, reflectors and a packet of toe straps..... premium bikes no pedals at all.

If you can afford a couple of grand or so , you can get a CHPT3 Brommie, which comes without mudguards. It does have some titanium parts though, but mudguards just wouldn't do for a collaboration with a TDF stage winner. Wonder if they'll follow this up with a folding TDF type bike. A cynic might say that the way Brommie prices are going, they'll soon cost as much as a TDF bike, but of course, I'm not a cynic :whistle:

The Chpt3 has been around for a few years now but in small numbers.

You can still pick up normal Bromptons for 1/3 of the Chpt3 price.

A Brompton without guards just seems silly to me.

The Chpt3 has been around for a few years now but in small numbers.

You can still pick up normal Bromptons for 1/3 of the Chpt3 price.

A Brompton without guards just seems silly to me.

some ridiculous prices on flea bay, £2500 for a black edition, over 3k for a used older model Chpt3 or even £5500 for the new Chpt3 !!!!! Standard Bromptons asking a high price too.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
I have recently bought a 6 speed . Is there any reason the derailure is virtually horizontal ? As other with less gears are virtually vertical

It's mostly because what looks like the derailleur isn't really a derailleur. It's a chain tensioner.

The job of actually changing the cogs at the back is done by a chain pusher. If it didn't fold, the one-speed and three-speed versions wouldn't need it at all because the chain doesn't move cogs.

Standard Bromptons asking a high price too.

I've just filled in another Brompton survey and reading between the lines, even with the prices they charge, I think they're looking at moving manufacturing 'offshore' somewhere.

Pretty sure that the last three surveys I've filled in have mentioned something like: How important is to you that the Brompton is built in the UK? And then in another question: Are you prepared to pay more for goods made in the UK?

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
It's mostly because what looks like the derailleur isn't really a derailleur. It's a chain tensioner.

The job of actually changing the cogs at the back is done by a chain pusher. If it didn't fold, the one-speed and three-speed versions wouldn't need it at all because the chain doesn't move cogs.

Thanks I've now realized that took a few links out and Bingo , sweet :smile:

I've just filled in another Brompton survey and reading between the lines, even with the prices they charge, I think they're looking at moving manufacturing 'offshore' somewhere.

Pretty sure that the last three surveys I've filled in have mentioned something like: How important is to you that the Brompton is built in the UK? And then in another question: Are you prepared to pay more for goods made in the UK?

Top Bottom