Brompton Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
pedals easily changed, how many bikes come with those awful plastic pedals, reflectors and a packet of toe straps..... premium bikes no pedals at all.
The pedals are easily changed. But for the price you pay for a Brompton you would think they would come with decent pedals.

DF bikes come with cheap pedals as the manufacturers are aware they will probanly be changed.

There is much less choice with folding pedals.

The pedals are easily changed. But for the price you pay for a Brompton you would think they would come with decent pedals.

DF bikes come with cheap pedals as the manufacturers are aware they will probanly be changed.

There is much less choice with folding pedals.
True, but then again for the price you pay top end you would expect decent pedals rather than none. But you are right, maybe the Bromptons should come with a choice of pedals depending on usage and footwear... still think they are cool bikes

It's mostly because what looks like the derailleur isn't really a derailleur. It's a chain tensioner.

The job of actually changing the cogs at the back is done by a chain pusher. If it didn't fold, the one-speed and three-speed versions wouldn't need it at all because the chain doesn't move cogs.

I've just filled in another Brompton survey and reading between the lines, even with the prices they charge, I think they're looking at moving manufacturing 'offshore' somewhere.

Pretty sure that the last three surveys I've filled in have mentioned something like: How important is to you that the Brompton is built in the UK? And then in another question: Are you prepared to pay more for goods made in the UK?

I hope not. I'd not be buying another Brompton if they did move abroad.

I *think* that's what they're trying to assess.

This quote from CEO would come back to bite him then ........

Kell

Veteran
It's just a feeling I get.

Everyone complains about Bromptons being expensive, but when you're paying workers appropriate wages for the UK, then it's going to affect the price.

It may be that the reason they're asking might be to pacify shareholders - in as much as they could go back and say "If we move production, we'll reduce cots, but no one will buy the bike".

It's all conjecture and a massive assumption on my part. But I'd be very surprised if someone has not at least suggested it to increase profits.

Next time you fill in the survey, just look out for how many different ways you're asked about quality, Britishness and justification of the price point.

Kell

Veteran
Oh - and keep voting for disc brakes

mitchibob

Über Member
Oh - and keep voting for disc brakes

And tubeless rims!

While disc brakes could be great, although worry about the additional amount of crap they'd pick up being that bit lower down. Plus then, you really want to add through-axles, and perhaps Classified could do a 3-speed version of their hub gear, or just have an extra sprocket or two, and have electronic shifting. Would make rear-punctures less hassle on the side of the road.

Last edited:
Its a clever design. If only they would sort out the plastic gear levers and awful pedals.
It's NOT a clever design. The chain pusher concept is Heath-Robinson in the way it's put together. It's a nightmare just to change the gear cable. If you're replacing the chain pusher as well, you need to regularly switch between 1.5mm, 2.5mm and 3mm allen keys. Assuming of course you can actually buy the correct length of cable depending upon exactly what model Brompton you've got. And that's once you've got over the ridiculous cost of any parts. For example £4.99 just for the 1.5mm locknut which goes on the end of the cable.

/Rant over.

berlinonaut

Veteran
It's NOT a clever design. The chain pusher concept is Heath-Robinson in the way it's put together. It's a nightmare just to change the gear cable. If you're replacing the chain pusher as well, you need to regularly switch between 1.5mm, 2.5mm and 3mm allen keys. Assuming of course you can actually buy the correct length of cable depending upon exactly what model Brompton you've got. And that's once you've got over the ridiculous cost of any parts. For example £4.99 just for the 1.5mm locknut which goes on the end of the cable.

/Rant over.
Why on earth should one replace the chain pusher? Also you seem not to be aware that the cable design has changed already back in 2017. With the newer version of the dogleg that got invented along with the new shifters the cable is much easier to change (and it is now a standard cable as well) and the locknut you mention is no longer there. Plus you only had to buy a new locknut in case you managed to loose or damage the old one (which obviously is not the standard/normal case).

Apart from that: While I did it change the cables with the old version a couple of times it has always been due to modifying the bike, not because it was necessary. Buying the correct length of cable is not too hard as for one they provide the preconfigured cables for each bar version (are you really surprised that different bar heights need cables of different length? :ohmy:), all you have to know is which bars you have. Of course you can always buy the longest version and cut it down as you need it (as you would need to do with any other bike). So you do complain about a level of comfort that you do not need to make use of and that other bike companies do not even offer. So I think your rant does not only go over the top - it is completely misleading and furthermore (even if it was correct contentwise) targeting a system that is out of production for 3,5 years already.

Top Bottom