Brompton really doesn't like anything other than smooth surfaces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrklaw

Only had it a couple of days but it really doesn't like to be on bumpy surfaces. Couple of roads I go down that are not the best and its like riding a boneshaker.

Worse though is gravel paths. Tried cycling home from Slough station (to windsor) along the jubilee river path. Didn't realise it was mostly gravel. I could feel my brain vibrating inside my head after a short while. Will be looking for an alternative route I think - shame as otherwise it was very nice.

wisdom

Guru
Are your tyre pressures correct.If they are too high it will make a difference especially with small wheels.

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

I think they’re at 90. I was told to pump them up nice and hard to reduce rolling resistance :smile:

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

Thanks. It’s a 2018 so has marathon racers as standard. What’s a good range for slightly dodgy London streets? I probably won’t be doing gravel paths though anyway (I think I can reroute through Eton to avoid that)

Joe Brom

Regular
Thanks. It’s a 2018 so has marathon racers as standard. What’s a good range for slightly dodgy London streets? I probably won’t be doing gravel paths though anyway (I think I can reroute through Eton to avoid that)

I had a 2016 M6L with Marathons. I ran them at 70 psi and did some dirt trails no Brompton has any business being on. I don't recommend this as a daily activity, but it wasn't unduly uncomfortable with my Brooks saddle.

Lower pressures will help, but you probably just need some time to get used to the different feel of a 16-inch-wheel bike. I noticed a dozen strange things the first week that are but a distant memory now; Bromptons are just different.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Small wheels don't ride well on rough surfaces - you cannae change the laws of physics! Supple tyres help, although puncture resistance and suppleness are a rare combination. Fit the widest tyres you can.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The handbook of my 2006 Brompton said something about being extra cautious on gravel and cinder track.

I thought grip was a bit iffy on those surfaces, although it was probably more of a confidence thing.

The little bit of extra squirming wasn't a safety hazard, but it was unnerving.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I regularly use mine on a gravel track and it's not that bad. That's running at 90 psi on Marathons.
Admittedly, I use the same track at 15mph on my electric bike. That's a bit bouncy :-)

User66445

I don't think they're brilliant on gravel or dirt paths either, and some made roads shake the hell out of them. Even so, I wouldn't go outside the manufacturer's specs in terms of inflation; you're asking for trouble. Even marathons wear quickly if they are underinflated by too much, as I discovered one day.

Kell

Veteran
The reality is that it's not really what it was designed for.

It's a city bike. It's like trying to ride the Tour de France on a dual-suspension downhill bike. You can do it, but it will be hard work.

mustang1

Guru
I don't ride my Brompton much but when I do then quite often I take it off road/single track. 100psi in the standard Brompton tyres.

I have the firm-block option.

Ps: I always find that damn bike wobbly for the first 20 minutes of every ride and I have to get accustomed to it all over again (due toninfreqqto use).

TigerT

Veteran
I run mine at 80psi. Squirms around a fair bit on gravel, but it’s not uncomfortable.

Also have a Brooks saddle.

Top Bottom