Brompton rear wheel...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevedeer

Regular
New to Brompton. Been watching the maintenance videos after being caught out with a front wheel puncture in the middle of nowhere, and not even a pump in my bag!

Front wheel was easy and quickly sorted, but watching the vid on the rear wheel removal and re-installation looks really complex and could easily screw up the gears. I need to practice, but how has anyone else coped?

shingwell

I always carry a well-charged mobile phone with me. Then in that eventuality I would call a partner/friend/taxi and make use of the B's best feature and fold it up and put it in their car for a lift home (but it hasn't happened yet, my B has proved to be remarkably puncture-resistant compared to my "normal" bikes). Not always the most popular answer among cycling enthuiasts :laugh::whistle:

OP
OP
stevedeer

stevedeer

Regular
I had that thought, my wife was at work and I wasn't too sure where I was... just cycled forever along a canal with freshly trimmed thorny hedge to one side!!!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I only ever do a repair at home. I'd hate to lose one of the little bits outside.

The beauty of the Brompton is that you just fold it up and get on a bus when there's a problem. Despite M+ tyres mine has never been as puncture-resistant as my hybrid. I did change the route of my commute to avoid the area with the most anti-social behaviour though.

berlinonaut

Veteran
It is no rocket science at all to fix a puncture on the rear wheel. The process of fitting the rear wheel back to the frame may seem complex at first for the innocent but it is not. Recommended to try it out at home first if you are new to the Brompton. The most confusing issue is probably mounting the chain tensioner - but in the end it is pretty much self explaining in practice and mounting takes literally 2s once you've figured out how to do it. In the end it is three 15mm nuts plus the chain tensioner, if you have a 3- or 6-speed plus one nut for the gearing. As said in the beginning: no rocket science involved.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I'd reinforce what @berlinonaut said. I thought that it looked daunting at first. There's an excellent video tutorial on "Brilliant Bikes" YouTube channel, loads of Brompton specific "How To's" etc.
I practiced removing the rear wheel and after a couple of goes it is a lot more straightforward, the chain tensioner looks a bit complex but it's not once you've done it a couple of times. I've got another Brompton to refer to if I get confused, though taking a photo of the chain run around the tensioner would help jog the memory.
Likewise with the gear selector, there's another video on the same site that guides you through the process, though if you eyeball how much thread is showing and make sure it's about the same you will be fine.

mitchibob

Über Member
Totally agree with @berlinonaut and @Tenkaykev. Was quite likely this forum that gave me the idea to take a picture of the chain-tensioner before taking off the first time, and while you can ride with it wrongly re-assembled, you'll notice it's wrong if you have a 2 speed and try and chain gear, or when you fold the bike and the chain falls off. In all honesty, once you've done it a couple of times, it only takes a few more minutes than rear wheel on any other bike.

I never understand why some bike shops charge such a premium to fix a rear puncture on a Brompton. I think that's partly what puts people off learning to do themselves as it's made out to be so complicated, when in fact, it's pretty easy.

OK, the 3 and 6 speed is a little more fiddly, but still, it's not a difficult roadside repair. Although, after having to do in the dark, in the middle of nowhere, I did add a head-torch to my saddlebag (and of course, have never needed it since).

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
It’s an exceedingly rare occurrence but I was cycling along the prom last year and stopped to take a photo, flicked the rear wheel under to stand it up and the suspension block dropped off. No Nylok nut in sight on the ground. It could have fallen off anywhere. I refitted it minus the nut and relied on my body weight on the saddle to keep it in place. When i got hold of a replacement Nylok nut I used a bit of blue Loctite as a belt and braces solution. I now periodically give all my nuts a tweak, 😮 including the mudguard stays, and keep a couple of spares nuts in my toolkit.

It's easy enough to do. I hit something metal and sharp just before the office and the rear went flat.

Fixed it in the office before heading home later. No problems at all.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
When you unscrew the gear cable on the rear wheel. Unless it’s brand new there be an obvious difference in colour between the threads where it should sit when screwed back together. Just aim for that and it’ll be fine. The gears are not super finicky like derailleur.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Main things:

Put a 3 or 6 speed in top gear first
Don't lose any bits
Put the anti-rotation washers back the right way up
Don't overtighten the bolt that retains the chain tensioner - it is not a lot more than finger-tight!
Screw the toggle all the way in until it stops, then back it off just enough to line it up with the cable
Adjust the gears with the hub in middle gear, so the end of the solid rod part of the toggle is level with the end of the axle.

There is usually no QR for the brakes, because Brompton really cheap out on parts. This means you probably don't want to inflate the tyre until the wheel is fitted.

Top Bottom