Brompton rider - safety on the roads ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Me: You're lucky that im not a policeman otherwise Id be handing you two tickets. One for not having any lights whilst cycling on a public road (This is Central London - There arent any private roads near by, at least none that will take him home anyway) and Two for cycling on the pavement?
Me: Understand that im not trying to preach, but as a fellow cyclist I am trying to keep you out of trouble with the law and out of danger making sure you dont end up underneath the wheels of a vehicle whose driver didnt see you because you have no lights, no hi-viz or any reflective gear and dressed head to toe in nothing but black....

Seeing as no-one could be such a total nobber as to speak to another person in this way, I can only conclude that the whole thing is made up. Why, God only knows.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Seeing as no-one could be such a total nobber as to speak to another person in this way, I can only conclude that the whole thing is made up. Why, God only knows.

Actually youre wrong, It actually happened and yes I can be very OCD. But thanks for your input.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I thought it was "Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down". Have I really been getting it wrong all this time?

'For what it's worth'

The following verse is quite apt.

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking' their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind

Personally - I would not try and lecture a stranger about having no lights - I would just think they were a bit of a dick.

I do not believe this happened as written.

Stop fantasising about cyclists' deaths. Stop preaching on aspects you think are right which are at best highly debatable.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It wasn't me you met was it? I left my lights in work the other day, and rode the last 1km home unlit. I'm sorry to have to report that I didn't die horribly. In fact I didn't die at all.

No, it wasn't me because I can be pretty grumpy about people I know trying to engage me in conversation. Complete strangers, I can be almost brusque.

Or perhaps it was me, and you imagined afterwards what you might have said to me, had I not looked so nasty and grumpy.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Whilst I wouldn't cycle in the dark without lights, in lit urban environments I fail to see how the lack of them could possibly excuse a driver from piling into an unlit cyclist. Drivers seem capable of avoiding trees, kerbs, parked cars etc, so why can't they be expected to avoid an unlit cyclist?

If a pedestrian was crossing and a driver ran them down, would you blame the pedestrian?

Maybe drivers ought to be expected to look where they are going, and not drive so fast that they cannot stop in the space they can see to be clear.

winjim

Smash the cistern
For what it's worth, yes.
Can I just point out that I was really proud of this pun and I'm a bit upset that it hasn't had the appreciation I think it deserves. I do think it may have been ruined by Milkfloat explaining it in the next post down.

Top Bottom