Brompton Service on Monday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I consider myself to be a mechanical retard. But I'm willing to give most things a go.

The problem with bikes is that a lot of the jobs require specific tools. Added to that, Bromptons are choc-full of archaic and unusual 'features' which means a lot of my limited knowledge is being put to the test even more. :whistle:

Not many things on bikes need special tools; at least not the day to day stuff. Set of good allen keys and a couple of spanners, and a pliers and you're good to go for most jobs - and you need that lot anyway just for everyday life surely. Buy good quality is my advice and don't skimp

OK, a chain splitter, but that won't break the bank even for a good one. Bottom bracket removal is a pretty infrequent job and as such can be sent to the shop, but even then, the crank remover isn't that dear.

I'm now fettling my Brompton doing brake upgrades and such, but although it's arranged in an unfamiliar way, there's nothin per se peculiar. That said, did take a bit of head-scratching to work out how to remove the brake levers, but that was the old crap levers, rather than its Bromtpon-ess. To be fair I am reasonably mechanically adept, but still.

Kell

Veteran
Changing a rear cassette on 'normal' bike = chain whip + sprocket removal tool. For example.

Job needs doing a couple of time a year if you ride a fair bit.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Changing a rear cassette on 'normal' bike = chain whip + sprocket removal tool. For example.

Job needs doing a couple of time a year if you ride a fair bit.

True, but if I got through that many, I'd buy the tool (and maybe oil it a bit more !) - what £20 (guessing). A chain whip was something like that for my fixie.

That said, I'd buy the tool anyway, just because.... though may or may not try building wheels when the time comes.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
About 2,000 miles for the transmission and pads looks a short service life to me - other more experienced Brompton users may be able to comment on that.

You could look into making the new stuff last a bit longer by adopting an improved cleaning and maintenance regime.
I don't think it's that short, tbh (although my Brompton gets ridden in a lot of filthy weather). The suggestion is a good one though, Bromptons are filthy little bikes, and cleaning them regularly should mean a longer life for those parts (if not a "long" life compared to other bikes).

I'd also look at using non-Brompton bits where applicable - I use a different sort of Fibrax pad than the ones made for Brompton, and prefer KMC's "rustbuster" chains to the ones supplied by SRAM for Brompton.

chris folder

Hi:hello:I had the 1st service on my brompton tighten all nuts and bolts up put some wet lube on chain, pump tyres up, checked wheel spokes and check all the gears are ok. Brompton say should re grease hub after alot or rideing i have not done that yet make you wounder how dry hub is?

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
True, but if I got through that many, I'd buy the tool (and maybe oil it a bit more !) - what £20 (guessing). A chain whip was something like that for my fixie.

That said, I'd buy the tool anyway, just because.... though may or may not try building wheels when the time comes.

That was kind of my point. Rather than pay labour for someone else to do the job, use the money to buy the tools and do the job yourself.

I'm currently trying to strip and rebuild an old MTB and while I have most of the tools to do most of the jobs, I'm missing a headset removal tool and press and I'd love to buy a wheel trueing stand, but that's big bucks.

Kell

Veteran
Screwdriver, and good eyesight to see where the circlip pinged to for a Brompton :smile:

Been there. Done that. Spent 10 minutes looking for it.

Kell

Veteran
Not many things on bikes need special tools; at least not the day to day stuff. Set of good allen keys and a couple of spanners, and a pliers and you're good to go for most jobs - and you need that lot anyway just for everyday life surely. Buy good quality is my advice and don't skimp

OK, a chain splitter, but that won't break the bank even for a good one. Bottom bracket removal is a pretty infrequent job and as such can be sent to the shop, but even then, the crank remover isn't that dear.

I'm now fettling my Brompton doing brake upgrades and such, but although it's arranged in an unfamiliar way, there's nothin per se peculiar. That said, did take a bit of head-scratching to work out how to remove the brake levers, but that was the old crap levers, rather than its Bromtpon-ess. To be fair I am reasonably mechanically adept, but still.

If you've got a 6-speed (or 2-speed for that matter) I'd say that a chain pusher would be filed under the archaic and unsusual section. Just when you think you've got the hang of adjusting gears on a normal derailleur equipped bike, they throw that in the mix.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If you've got a 6-speed (or 2-speed for that matter) I'd say that a chain pusher would be filed under the archaic and unsusual section. Just when you think you've got the hang of adjusting gears on a normal derailleur equipped bike, they throw that in the mix.

Haven't got to the joys of that bit yet, so you may well be right.

Why oh why don't they just stick an 11 speed shimano hub on it rather than the nasty plastic 2x derailler with an old 3 speed hub? And to retrofit, you've got to buy a whole bespoke rear triangle to fit the wider (standard) axle - bah !

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That was kind of my point. Rather than pay labour for someone else to do the job, use the money to buy the tools and do the job yourself.

I'm currently trying to strip and rebuild an old MTB and while I have most of the tools to do most of the jobs, I'm missing a headset removal tool and press and I'd love to buy a wheel trueing stand, but that's big bucks.

Not done wheel truing, but presumably you could just turn the bike over and use the forks ?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Screwdriver, and good eyesight to see where the circlip pinged to for a Brompton :smile:

I've just had that - bought some brass garden hose fittings, but one item was slightly out-of-spec so I took it apart and used a stone to fettle it (the push fit linkage thing for the squirter end) - now fits lovely - but I've lost one of 3 ball bearings somewhere in the kitchen - probably down the cracks in the floorboards. Bah! Still seems to work with only two balls so there !

Kell

Veteran
Not done wheel truing, but presumably you could just turn the bike over and use the forks ?

Funnily enough, when I redid the front wheel on my brompton, I removed the tyre and put an allen key across the brake calipers. It worked perfectly for getting the wheel round. I then used the fact that the brake calipers have a side-to-side adjustment to get it straight.

Not sure it would work on every bike though.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Funnily enough, when I redid the front wheel on my brompton, I removed the tyre and put an allen key across the brake calipers. It worked perfectly for getting the wheel round. I then used the fact that the brake calipers have a side-to-side adjustment to get it straight.

Not sure it would work on every bike though.

Just spotted the pet leopard on your avatar - 'kinell !

Top Bottom