Brompton Service on Monday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I'm leaving my Brompton H6L in on Monday for a service. I was just about to ride it up to the LBS (which is a Brompton agent) last Monday to book it in and got a puncture, so I'll get them to sort that too. It's got something rubbing on it, so that needs a look and just a basic service. It's about 16 months old so I'm thinking that'll be all it needs or should I go for the full service whatever that includes?

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
Fixing a flat used to be one of the most difficult things I 've done on a Brompton, at least with Schwalbe tires. Those tires are tough to get on the rim and easy to damage the bead if you force them on with tire irons. So what has worked for me is to do the part with the stem last. That allows you to pull the beads into the center of the tire or the side furthest from the stem and get a little slack. Here's the short list of stuff to check before you go in...chain in good shape? if not the rear cog(s) may need to be replaced. The brake pads could be worn. Holding the front brake so the front wheel doesn't move rock the bike back and forth to check the headset adjustment. wiggling the wheels sideways while in the fork/chainstay can indicate your hubs need adjustment. I would probably repack the headset and hubs if that 16 months has seen some mileage. Grease is cheap. Isn't much on that list you couldn't do with a 15mm wrench for the wheel nuts, a couple of tire irons, a 10mm for the brakes and pay them to replace the rear cog and repack the headset. what is rubbing, BTW?

Lonestar

Veteran
This is good news.Actually interesting.Never thought of taking it in for a service.

Shwalbe,I have a way of putting those tyres on which is quite successful.I don't use tyre irons and I tie an old inner tube round the tyre to keep it in place while I work with the lever thingy I have.Haven't tired it on a Brompton yet.

Oh BTW Jogger how many miles has it done?

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Fixing a flat used to be one of the most difficult things I 've done on a Brompton, at least with Schwalbe tires. Those tires are tough to get on the rim and easy to damage the bead if you force them on with tire irons. So what has worked for me is to do the part with the stem last. That allows you to pull the beads into the center of the tire or the side furthest from the stem and get a little slack. Here's the short list of stuff to check before you go in...chain in good shape? if not the rear cog(s) may need to be replaced. The brake pads could be worn. Holding the front brake so the front wheel doesn't move rock the bike back and forth to check the headset adjustment. wiggling the wheels sideways while in the fork/chainstay can indicate your hubs need adjustment. I would probably repack the headset and hubs if that 16 months has seen some mileage. Grease is cheap. Isn't much on that list you couldn't do with a 15mm wrench for the wheel nuts, a couple of tire irons, a 10mm for the brakes and pay them to replace the rear cog and repack the headset. what is rubbing, BTW?

Not sure. checked the mudguards, sounds like it is coming from the back wheel area. I'm booking myself on a bike maintenance course in Sept.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
This is good news.Actually interesting.Never thought of taking it in for a service.

Shwalbe,I have a way of putting those tyres on which is quite successful.I don't use tyre irons and I tie an old inner tube round the tyre to keep it in place while I work with the lever thingy I have.Haven't tired it on a Brompton yet.

Oh BTW Jogger how many miles has it done?

Not sure but probably about 2000 miles plus.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Well I picked up my 16 month old H6L from the LBS (Brompton Agent) after it's service and repair. This is what I had done and cost as on the bill:
Qbrpada- Fibrax pads 10;00
Qrspr - Shimano 16T R sprocket 3/32 9 2/6spd 5:99
QChain 3/32 102 11:99
Shimano 13TR Sprocket 3/32 9 spline 6 spd 5:99
Qtub - 50 Tube37-349 Sv 5:00
Safety check labour 48:00
Workshop: degreaser 20:00
Workshop: cleaner 20:00
Workshop: cabin lube 1:00
Fit chain and cassette labour 15:00
Fit tube 10:00
Miscellaneous labour 5:00

Finish line 4:50 (my add on0

Sub Total: 120:39
Vat 24:08
Total 144:47

There is probably some of their codes in the description, anyway was that good value or not?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
20+20 + vat for degreaser & cleaner seems a bit steep. What are they using, extract of seal's noses ?
Labour is maybe a touch heavy too, but not wildly so arguably

T4tomo

Legendary Member
£40 on cleaning products is taking the mick, rest is fine

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You live in a fairly affluent part of the country, so the bill will be a bit higher than if you lived somewhere cheap.

I agree forty quid for chemicals looks steep, but the components - chain, sprockets etc - have been charged very reasonably.

Taken overall, £145 is OK provided the work has been done and done well.

About 2,000 miles for the transmission and pads looks a short service life to me - other more experienced Brompton users may be able to comment on that.

You could look into making the new stuff last a bit longer by adopting an improved cleaning and maintenance regime.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I raised my eyebrows at new chain and sprockets too, pads seems a tad presumptive would you say you are a smooth and predictive rider or nearer crashing gears and grabbing lumps of brake at the last moment?

They've made a profit on their labour and simple consumables for sure but on the flipside are registered so should be properly familiar with Bromptons, the key thing I guess on VFM is how do you feel it rides now.

12boy

Guru
I would be doing those things myself. Swapping brake pads, replacing an inner tube and replacing the two rear cogs would take me maybe an hour, and at most two the first time. Getting paid over 100 pounds for an hour's work sounds pretty good to me. The 48 for the safety check seems crazy. If they repacked the hubs and headset for 48 that might be fair. Perhaps everything in Britain just is a lot more than here. BTW some Tiptop patches would cost maybe 8 bucks for a dozen with glue etc and unless the inner tube has a big cut or failed next to the stem, would work just fine.

Kell

Veteran
£15 to buy and replace an inner tube is shocking - but not unexpected, as it's that price everywhere. As mentioned above,you could probably have done it yourself for a couple of quid for patches. Or free if you already have them.

Brake pads are easy to change too.

And even the rear cogs and chain are easy to do. I tend to buy the tools to do the jobs as and when the jobs need doing rather than pay labour - the cost is often less than asking someone else to do the job the first time, and then the second time it's free.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated. I have booked myself on a maintenance course, which now I'm retired I will have no excuses to not do minor stuff at least. It's good to know the parts were reasonably priced as well. The bike was ridden quite fast along the canal towpath so I don't think that would have helped it as well as having nil maintenance or cleaning of moving parts.

Kell

Veteran
I consider myself to be a mechanical retard. But I'm willing to give most things a go.

The problem with bikes is that a lot of the jobs require specific tools. Added to that, Bromptons are choc-full of archaic and unusual 'features' which means a lot of my limited knowledge is being put to the test even more. :whistle:

Top Bottom