Brompton Service on Monday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Just spotted the pet leopard on your avatar - 'kinell !

Completely off-topic:

It was a Cheetah...

Incredible and utterly humbling experience thanks to these guys: http://tenikwa.com/

18275_10152560068981021_2330027626722801942_n.jpg

Last edited:
My folder isn't a Brompton, so I was forced to learn to service it myself because I literally couldn't get it serviced right. After two different services it nearly rattled apart when two different bolts weren't tightened, and the final straw was when I took it to a shop that sold mezzos, and they replaced the rear wheel and rear derailleur (16" folders go through a lot of those!) but didn't adjust the high/low screws which could have resulted in a serious accident. If I have to spend time checking they have done their job properly, I may as well save £100 and do it myself.
Wow.quite a few.
Is it? That's only an average of 25 miles/week. Which is respectable, but not quite "wow" worthy.

I did the maths. 2,000 is the equivalent in terms of wheel rotation and thus wear as 3,200 on a road bike. That plus how close the cassette and chain are to the dirt probably means it was due for a replacement.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think Brompton ownership brings with it a kind of philosophical question - which is....'what is a Brompton?'

If it's a means of getting around then run it for years and years without a service - to misquote Quentin Crisip, it doesn't get any worse after four years. If it's the object of desire than accustom yourself to the idea that it's not a cheap date.

Lonestar

Veteran
So £8+/mile? Taxi's are cheaper :sad:

I am mystified why anyone would buy one who had so little use for it. Even 1 mile to and fro at either end of a train commute is 20 miles a week. Did you change jobs just after buying it?

No I was going to take it on holiday but changed my mind (too much hassle at the airport seemed pointless me taking it).I'm happy with it.Use it for local trips and may need it in the future anyway.It's not doing any harm.

Toying with the idea today of taking it by train to Derbyshire and visiting a relative who lives out in the sticks.

I have three other bikes.A dedicated fixie for the commute...a spare fixie and the Audax for local and longer rides.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
'cos an Alfine hun
Haven't got to the joys of that bit yet, so you may well be right.

Why oh why don't they just stick an 11 speed shimano hub on it rather than the nasty plastic 2x derailler with an old 3 speed hub? And to retrofit, you've got to buy a whole bespoke rear triangle to fit the wider (standard) axle - bah !
Cos an alfine hub is relatively expensive, and overkill if u just bought it for a 2 mile commute either end of a train journey. U can upgrade to one though.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think Brompton ownership brings with it a kind of philosophical question - which is....'what is a Brompton?'

If it's a means of getting around then run it for years and years without a service - to misquote Quentin Crisip, it doesn't get any worse after four years. If it's the object of desire than accustom yourself to the idea that it's not a cheap date.
Sounds about right. I rode my first one (or rather its frame) into the ground after about 12,000 miles. Once I'd got the wheel laced properly - all those years ago Brompton didn't know how to build a reliable rear wheel - it just ran and ran and ran. I bust one rim in that time, never replaced the sprocket or the tensioner, and rarely had it serviced.

Now that I've got my second set up as an 8-speed I expect to do the same, once I've sorted the rear wheel build. For the moment I'm carrying a tube of locktite and a spoke key. I'm not the quickest rider in town, but then the same is true on my fast bike too.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
@The Jogger you see this is what you get when you allow the private sector to do a simple job :okay:
Either that or it's evidence you don't need a union to result in overpaid workers. Or that workers' solidarity works so well that they've spotted a fellow working man and given him a discount...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Either that or it's evidence you don't need a union to result in overpaid workers. Or that workers' solidarity works so well that they've spotted a fellow working man and given him a discount...

I doubt the workers are being overpaid - the overpayment is going to "the man"

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That was kind of my point. Rather than pay labour for someone else to do the job, use the money to buy the tools and do the job yourself.

I'm currently trying to strip and rebuild an old MTB and while I have most of the tools to do most of the jobs, I'm missing a headset removal tool and press and I'd love to buy a wheel trueing stand, but that's big bucks.
Headset removal tool - Length of Dowel/broomhandle and a hammer.
Headset installation tool - Block of wood and a hammer, having a decent (ish) Bench helps though.

Top Bottom