Brompton tyres sucking the life out of me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Sounds more like the bike than the tyres to me.

I can understand they might be useful for certain occasions but have never fancied getting one myself.

Are you doing short trips or decent mileage?

T4tomo

Guru
I use straight Marathon and don't find them too draggy.
Sufficiently so that I've toured on them.
me to, but nit sure you'll notice so much of a difference to change new to new, being a tight Yorkshireman, Id just replace them with standard Ms when they wear out.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

I can understand they might be useful for certain occasions but have never fancied getting one myself.

25 mile round trip daily

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?

Go on you must be bored of tripping over the other 6 by now.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bicycles built for speed and distance have big wheels, so I suspect the laws of physics mean there's no way to cure your problem while the bike has 16" wheels.

I think you have a six-speed?

On any view you are a strong cyclist, so it would be interesting to see how you would get on with a two-speed Brommie on Kojak slicks.

What I can't think of is any financially viable way of carrying out that experiment.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This was my biggest reason for not buying a Brompton. The 16" wheels were too much of a compromise, and hence a Dahon with 20" wheels feels more "bike like"

Thing is my commute is broken up by a train journey hence being forced into buying a Brompton. I may start to look at other options like 20"ers

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bicycles built for speed and distance have big wheels, so I suspect the laws of physics mean there's no way to cure your problem while the bike has 16" wheels.

I think you have a six-speed?

On any view you are a strong cyclist, so it would be interesting to see how you would get on with a two-speed Brommie on Kojak slicks.

What I can't think of is any financially viable way of carrying out that experiment.

Yup 6 speed. And that's another thing. I just can't find a comfortable cruising gear out of the 6. They are all either too high or too low, no good inbetween.

My default tyres on 16" wheels are Marathons. I gave up on M+ after getting 3 punctures on them and taking the best part of an hour each time to get them on made me murderous. Kojaks are good but a rubbing brake will cut through the sidewalls before you notice there's a problem (DAMHIKT) and a discard Stanley blade will cut through them like butter (DAMHIKT, either)

There's nothing inherently slow about 16" wheels, btw.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As mentioned, wind resistance from the more upright riding position of the Brommie is the major issue speedwise, not tyre rolling resistance.

Also, rear wheel removal on a a Brommie is not that great a faff compares to any other hub geared bike.

Top Bottom