1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brompton tyres sucking the life out of me

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by ianrauk, 16 Nov 2017.

1. alicat

alicat Guru

Keep a bike at both ends?
    Illaveago likes this.
  2. OP

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Barmy in Barming
    No chance. If I did then it would have to be a clunker to leave overnight locked to racks. I do not do clunkers and leaving a bike overnight in SE London, well...
    Salty seadog and potsy like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

If you got a rear wheel puncture during the riding part of your commute, what would your options be?
  4. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry non-contributing ex-member

Are kojaks really that prone to visitations and can't park patches take care if visited?
  5. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

Kojaks were vigorously discouraged from FNRttC rides for over fairy-friendliness IIRC.
  6. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

Yes they were, after one particularly bad incidence of punctures for one person. It is a time benefit calculation though. Every day benefit versus how much it costs to deal with a flat times relative probabilities.
  7. reppans

reppans Active Member

As many have mentioned, nothing inherently slow about the small wheels - they've actually broken quite a few land speed records, including a Moulton record still standing.

IMHO the Brompton feels slower/less efficient than it actually is - I've run time trials with my equivalently priced 700x32 (same pressure, similar tire profile) gravel bike and was surprised to find I was only ~1mph/7% slower on the B. Rigged my M bars with a aero drop position and cut that in half to 0.5mph/3.5%, not to mention adding comfort. Knock that down another 1% if I included the necessary 2kg of locks for the gravel bike. I figure that last 2.5% is there to stay - a combination of inefficiencies from the dual drivetrain (derailleur+IGH), imperfect gear ratios, handlebar/suspension flex, and half-clip vs Clipless pedals.

For me the difference in speed/efficiency/comfort between the two bikes is now so small that I regularly alternate between two on loop exercise rides (no intentions of stopping/locking/folding). The Brompton always feels slower to me, but the endless advantages of that fold make it my goto bike. YMMV, of course.
    Last edited: 18 Nov 2017
    samsbike likes this.
  8. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

This is what I do in Cambridge;it's an old Ridgeback frame which looks like it's been fired at with a shotgun, set up single-speed with old shimano bits.It can get left for a week without use but it's always there when needed,even if it did get nicked I wouldn't worry as it's not cost me anything and the money saved not buying a Brompton/Dahon/whatever has gone on blingy bits on the nice bikes.
  9. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Agree with the others ordinary marathons have a good balance between ride and puncture protection. You will not feel like the life is being sucked out of you.
  10. simon.r

simon.r Person

Somewhere in between the Marathon and the Kojak is the standard Brompton tyre:

I’m another pootler on the Brompton, but on the odd occasion I do push on I can’t say I notice significantly more rolling resistance on these than an average 700c tyres.

Worth looking on eBay if you want a pair cheap as they quite often appear on there in nearly new condition.
  11. The Jogger

The Jogger Guru

12. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

My rear tyre blew a big hole on my Spa yesterday @ianrauk and I went to replace it. It was a Schwalbe Marathon Racer. Rutland cycles only had an M+, it was either that or go home on my front wheel!

It's like riding on concrete tyres! I feel your pain!
  13. fatjel

fatjel Über Member

I have Brompton tyres on mine. They came with it and feel OK .
    Was expecting to have to change them as I’m very picky about tyres as a rule.
    Never had m+ that I could tolerate. Normal marathons always feel like they roll better to me
    I have to say carbon frame and dura ace wheels get me along a bit quicker
  14. OP

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Barmy in Barming
    I've changed the tyres from Marathon Plus to the standard Brompton Tyres. They do seem to be a little bit better rolling.
    However, I think that having had to change my mindset as to how I am riding and a month down the line of using the bike. My mind, body and muscles are becoming more in tune with the Brompton. I am definitely getting a little quicker on the commute.

The M+'s are in the shed and will be used as spares.
    TinyMyNewt likes this.
  15. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

That’s good, and I think normal. The B is a different riding proposition and it takes a while to settle into it.
    Another thing I thought if was whether setting the saddle more rearwards might help. I used the Brompton extension to do that and it makes the bike feel a little more ‘normal’ for me (of long back and short legs).
    Glad it’s getting better anyhow :-)
    samsbike likes this.