1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brompton tyres sucking the life out of me

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by ianrauk, 16 Nov 2017.

1. OP

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Barmy in Barming
    The saddle seems to be in the right position, it's certainly not uncomfortable.
    I do also have the seat post at the max. I'm 5'9", so anyone taller must have a bit of a problem or have a taller post.
  2. Kell

Kell Senior Member

It's more about aero dynamics. Brompton set up their bikes with the sadlle pushed as far forward on the rails as it will go - obviously making you more 'sit-up-and-beg' It was one of the first things I altered. Flipped the pentaclip the other way up and pushed the seat right back.

I also think they do take a lot of getting used to.

After 30+ years of riding MTBs I bought my first road bike (or racer as we used to call them) about 3 years ago and it felt really twitchy. Now when I use the road bike after being on the Brompton all week, it feels really planted.

It also takes a while to get used to the gearing.

Brompton set up:

Last edited: 6 Dec 2017
    ianrauk likes this.
  3. lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit Veteran

Lawrence, NSW
    At 6 2 I should probably have got the extended post but get by with the pentaclip reversed and as close to the top of the post as I dared.

I don’t commute on it now but when I did I found the Brompton green tyres ok. I dislike the M+ that I tried on a previous bike and have never purchased any since. Did run Marathons on the tourer and they weren’t too bad.
  4. OP

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Barmy in Barming
    Thanks @Kell That's very interesting about the saddle. I may have a look at that.
  5. Kell

Kell Senior Member

I wish my bike looked as clean as that now too. :blush:
    ianrauk likes this.
  6. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Here’s mine with the extension. The carradice block obscures it a bit but if you zoom in it’s clear.
    It’s a standard part.

Gives a tad more height as well :-)
  7. ryanme

ryanme Member

Marathon tyres are slow!

Schwalbe Kojaks are so so much faster and give the bike a completely different feel, just stick some stans no tubes sealant in the inner tube and you wont get punctures!
  8. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

I left a stripe of latex along King Street a few years ago that would disagree with that! I suspect it depends what you're puncturing on.