Brompton tyres sucking the life out of me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks @Kell That's very interesting about the saddle. I may have a look at that.
Here’s mine with the extension. The carradice block obscures it a bit but if you zoom in it’s clear.
It’s a standard part.

8802A5D8-731E-49B6-8C7B-5C1CD7B38170.jpeg

Gives a tad more height as well :-)

ryanme

Marathon tyres are slow!

Schwalbe Kojaks are so so much faster and give the bike a completely different feel, just stick some stans no tubes sealant in the inner tube and you wont get punctures!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Marathon tyres are slow!

Schwalbe Kojaks are so so much faster and give the bike a completely different feel, just stick some stans no tubes sealant in the inner tube and you wont get punctures!
I left a stripe of latex along King Street a few years ago that would disagree with that! I suspect it depends what you're puncturing on.

CyclingFra

Last year I replaced my original Brompton rear tyre with a Schwalbe Marathon.
The new tyre has less grip than the original especially in wet conditions and also its sides are weaker.
I'm now looking to replace my front tyre, too, and I'd like to avoid a Schwalbe but it seems that there is little choice around.
Did any of you ever tried the Continental Ride Tour 16"? The pressure range is a scary 45-58PSI that sounds quite mysterious to me.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I thought the old Stelvios were faster than folding Kojaks, although Kojaks are much lighter. I'm not sure how much real science there is in tyre design - new models are often worse than their predecessors, maybe due to cost-cutting. In 700c, Vredestein Fortezzas went right downhill when they dropped the TriComp label.

12boy

Guru
Does slow mean out the front door to your desk or how fast when pedalling only? My B is a little slower, though not in a headwind since I don't have a front bag, but not locking it up, keeping it immediately accessible etc cuts off time for the trip. I have only used marathons and marathon plusses, and I didn't like the plusses much. The plusses cost more and are harder to take off and put on. Since I have a tan leather saddle I'd like some 349 tan sidewall Paselas, please.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I'm now looking to replace my front tyre, too, and I'd like to avoid a Schwalbe but it seems that there is little choice around.
Did any of you ever tried the Continental Ride Tour 16"? The pressure range is a scary 45-58PSI that sounds quite mysterious to me.
The Continentals are 47-305 which means they are far too wide (47mm where 40mm is the proven maximum on the Brompton in practice until now) which does not matter too much as they are the wrong size as well: They are ETRO 305 whereas the Bromton uses ETRO349. So the Continentals are way too small for the Brompton and in addition too wide, too.

CyclingFra

Thanks Berlinonaut, that's very helpful.
In the meanwhile I discovered that the original Brompton tyres were from Kenda - let's see if there is any chance of finding out if there is anythign similar from the same maker

kais01

Regular
i have 44/305 michelin diabolo on one of my bromptons. had to grind away some of the side knobs to make room. they roll really well, noticeably better than marathons on 349 rims.

that bike is great fun on snow. the rubber compound is grippy in the cold, and i hardly use the other winter brompton i have, with carbide studded tyres from schwalbe. these are both slow and tend to give punctures from the studs digging their way all the way into the tubes.

it is strange schwalbe has accepted this low standard. they really know how to make good tyres, and i am most satistfied with them om my mtbs where i use ice spiker pro, nobby nics, thunder burts and rocket rons. all excellent with really low rolling resistance.

as for the subject of the thread, marathon on 349 rims are slow. really a let-down for the brompton bike. m+ even worse. in bright contrast, with the previous brompton-branded standard tyres and a pressure as low as 4 bars/60 psi you actually are able to keep up decently in a peleton of racers as far as rolling resistance is concerned.

they are my favorite brommie tyres.

havent tested the new standard tyre marathon race, but their sidewalls are on the stiff side, which might not be optimal for low rolling resistance. could however be a better compromise than standard marathons if you are afraid of puncures.

Top Bottom