Brompton used pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Considering a Brompton as a way back onto 2 wheels while I rehab from knee surgery/heart issues before getting onto roadbikes. I’ll then use for commuting come warmer weather and return to office.

How much should I be looking to realistically pay for a M Handlebar 6 speed in good condition (and not black!)
Other than checking it’s not nicked and it folds and unfolds ok, what should I be looking for?

I can get a new one locally for around £1200. I could spend that much but would rather not (this might well end up being a lightly used whim purchase and I’d like to recoup as much as possible if so)!

Thanks in advance.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Considering a Brompton as a way back onto 2 wheels while I rehab from knee surgery/heart issues before getting onto roadbikes. I’ll then use for commuting come warmer weather and return to office.

How much should I be looking to realistically pay for a M Handlebar 6 speed in good condition (and not black!)
Other than checking it’s not nicked and it folds and unfolds ok, what should I be looking for?

I can get a new one locally for around £1200. I could spend that much but would rather not (this might well end up being a lightly used whim purchase and I’d like to recoup as much as possible if so)!

Thanks in advance.

I was fortunate to pick up a couple of little used M6L Brommies from a local couple who had moved to the area and wanted mountain bikes as the move meant no more commuting. I paid about £700 ( in 2017 ) each. They did turn out to cost a lot more than that, in that we enjoyed using them so much and ended up with each buying a special edition to mark significant birthdays. Mrs Tenkaykev is 5'2" and had a total knee replacement about twelve years ago. She loves her Brommie and finds it far easier to ride than her touring bike.
I'd say keep an eye out locally and be prepared to be patient. If you did splash out for a new bike you would almost certainly be able to sell it for a sum near to what you payed. Our daughter recently purchased one on the cycle to work scheme which saved her a fair bit.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I was fortunate to pick up a couple of little used M6L Brommies from a local couple who had moved to the area and wanted mountain bikes as the move meant no more commuting. I paid about £700 ( in 2017 ) each. They did turn out to cost a lot more than that, in that we enjoyed using them so much and ended up with each buying a special edition to mark significant birthdays. Mrs Tenkaykev is 5'2" and had a total knee replacement about twelve years ago. She loves her Brommie and finds it far easier to ride than her touring bike.
I'd say keep an eye out locally and be prepared to be patient. If you did splash out for a new bike you would almost certainly be able to sell it for a sum near to what you payed. Our daughter recently purchased one on the cycle to work scheme which saved her a fair bit.

Cheers, I can get cycle to work but as a contractor and there being a 25% fee to purchase at end of year, I may well save very little in the end even if I’m still with the business in a year (very likely but not guaranteed!)

New is tempting and there may not be much price difference vs lightly used. At least being in/near London, there’s a decent amount of (hopefully non stolen) choice!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Cheers, I can get cycle to work but as a contractor and there being a 25% fee to purchase at end of year, I may well save very little in the end even if I’m still with the business in a year (very likely but not guaranteed!)

New is tempting and there may not be much price difference vs lightly used. At least being in/near London, there’s a decent amount of (hopefully non stolen) choice!

" Jennifer " Mrs Tenkaykev's sparkly purple Brommie 😄 ( name chosen as Jennie Joseph's poem " warning " ) is one of her favourites.

KJD_1076.jpeg

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m not 5’2 (indeed 5’9 and a bit), and leggy, so will need the longer seatpost for sure

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m 176cm (5’ 9 1/4”) and bought a new Brompton in 2017. The standard seatpost was long enough for me.

Same height but I’ve got an 34” approx inside leg. I’ve ridden a Brompton before (indeed I bought one in 2019 and changed my mind before delivery) and thus know I need the longer seat tube :smile: With entrenched knee issues, I’m also very sensitive to saddle height

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
With a 34" inside leg you are in my eyes already in the area for the telescopic post. Not by much, but it makes a (positive) difference.

Maybe that'a the one I meant?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Same height but I’ve got an 34” approx inside leg. I’ve ridden a Brompton before (indeed I bought one in 2019 and changed my mind before delivery) and thus know I need the longer seat tube :smile: With entrenched knee issues, I’m also very sensitive to saddle height

Yes you will and arguably the telescopic one. I have the longer post 5'11" and 32" IL and its fine for me but almost at top its travel.

If you were thinking of a cycle train cycle commute, I found having a relatively cheap single speed for the London end was more convenient than the brommie, providing you had secure parking at work (which is much more common now than back in the day when i first started brommy-ing it.. I found Euston station bike parking safe for overnight and imagine all London main stations similar.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes you will and arguably the telescopic one. I have the longer post 5'11" and 32" IL and its fine for me but almost at top its travel.

If you were thinking of a cycle train cycle commute, I found having a relatively cheap single speed for the London end was more convenient than the brommie, providing you had secure parking at work (which is much more common now than back in the day when i first started brommy-ing it.. I found Euston station bike parking safe for overnight and imagine all London main stations similar.

I'll only go in once/max twice a week, I won't be leaving a bike in London. Commuting is secondary to getting back in the saddle at the mo (I've not been able to go in this year and I'm probably a month away still from getting to the office). Most likely route in will be ride to Wimbledon, tube to Tower Hill so no mainline. In the past, I've just left the Triban at Wimbledon

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So a Brommie because it hasn't got a cross bar and hence easier to get on?

If so why not a used step thru hybrid / mixte for the commute to Wimbledon?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
So a Brommie because it hasn't got a cross bar and hence easier to get on?

If so why not a used step thru hybrid / mixte for the commute to Wimbledon?

I’ve completely gone off hybrids, don’t like the wide flat handlebars!! And a Brompton will be easier to store, I’ve no more space for another full size bike, especially with wide bars!

Gunk

Guru
I sold mine a while ago and regret so I’m currently looking to buy another. £700 is the starting point for mint used example, prices have come down slightly over the last 12 months. Facebook marketplace seems to be best source of sensibly priced bikes. EBay prices are a bit silly at the moment.

Top Bottom