Brompton vs Road bike speed / efficiency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gom

Über Member
An excellent Brompton channel. I recently recommended their analysis of Brompton handlebar types to a friend, who was very impressed by the amount of detail.

Kell

Veteran
What I've learned today:

Surprisingly, the deflection of the chain line to the largest sprocket is more efficient than running a straight chain line to a smaller sprocket.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
All derailleur bikes I've seen give a better chainline to the smallest sprocket. Ideally the chainring should lie in a plane halfway between the two, but it would hit the folded rear triangle before that.

I would have said 1mph difference from a road touring bike, a bit more for a road racing bike (the term "road bike" is moronic...is a Brompton not a road bike?!), M-type slower than S-type due to the upright position.

I gear Bromptons for about 57" cruising gear but I'd go for 60" on a road racing bike.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
I love this, it's missing a couple of variables, like certain Surrey/Sussex roads roughness with little wheels compared to big ones, but the speed differential is really close to what I observe. One thing I don't quite understand though, well, there could be bunch of excuses this year, but on climbs that I'd previously a PB on Brompton, only one I've beaten when doing again on my road bike, and that was last year, when I was in good form. Fair enough, the weight of the two is similar, maybe the road bike is at most a kilo lighter. But I can't even attribute my PB on Box Hill to having any kind of draft from the Ride 100, as I set my best the week before, with no-one helping, plus, I just don't go fast enough up there to get a benefit from a draft. Coombe Lane today on road bike? I was faster on Brommie couple years back on a ride where it was the last climb after Coldharbour and Barhatch Lane, in January?!?! Just dunno how I did that now.

12boy

Guru
I would have liked a bit of data on the chainpusher options, thinking they may be a hair more efficient than the SA hubs. Other than that I was impressed with the article. I also wonder if my kind of riding, involving slowing and accelerating, might make a positive for Bompton small wheels.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I was riding mine around central London this week and, the occasional pothole aside, they work better there than in the open country. You're constantly stopping for traffic lights (unless you're a local, in which case you NEVER stop for traffic lights) and the roads are smoother, in a kind of worn-out, polished way. Out here in the provinces, we have stuff like chipseal to contend with, and 16" wheels HATE chipseal.

Attachments

• 20210908_145604.jpg
    20210908_145604.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 31

ExBrit

Über Member
But does it still fold nicely? (the biggest problem with the one I hired recently was a reach waaaay shorter than on my own bikes. Felt dreadful! And I much prefer drops to flats, AOTBE ...)
Yes it does. The aerobars are quick release (on and off in 30 seconds) but still very solid to ride. I did have some trouble fitting them onto the S-bar and had to make my own shims from the bands of hose clamps wrapped in electrical tape. I've dropped the bars another 4cm since I took this photo. The drops fold on either side of the front wheel. And those pedals are quick release SPDs from FlatBike. Add a Brooks B17 and you have a bicycle capable of some serious miles.

It still fits in an IKEA Dimpa bag.

Yes it does. The aerobars are quick release (on and off in 30 seconds) but still very solid to ride. I did have some trouble fitting them onto the S-bar and had to make my own shims from the bands of hose clamps wrapped in electrical tape. I've dropped the bars another 4cm since I took this photo. The drops fold on either side of the front wheel. And those pedals are quick release SPDs from FlatBike. Add a Brooks B17 and you have a bicycle capable of some serious miles.

It still fits in an IKEA Dimpa bag.

View attachment 608522
Thanks. But how wide are those bars?? I know the wheels are only 'ickle, but still ...

ExBrit

Über Member
It's a standard S bar (55 cm wide) with clip on drops from Amazon. I started with ergonomics drops from Origin8 but the flat sections were not in the right place for me so I replaced them with curved drops from Vincinta. It's a nice ride unless you're built like a linebacker. If you rotate them correctly you get a bar-end hand position as well as the drops.

There are tons of manufacturers that make Brompton compatable bars but I think going wider than 55cm might affect the fold.

ExBrit

Über Member
You are absolutely correct. When I switch from my road bike to my Brompton and vice versa I find myself reaching for the brakes in the wrong place sometimes. I thought about replacing the Brompton brakes and gear shifters with higher quality generic ones, but decided that was too much. I'm surprised Brompton doesn't offer drops as a handlebar option.

In order to add drops you either need to cut off the end of the Brompton grips or replace them with Ergon GP1 or similar.

Top Bottom