Brookes Saddles and Saddles in general....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leslie

Regular
Hi All,

I have a been riding on a cheap canvas saddle (no brand) and have experience that is has started to wear out my trousers (typical cotton chinos). I have done a bit of research that leather saddles (ie Brookes) are more 'friendlier' to just ordinary trousers...have you had similar experiences? what are your thoughts?

Brookes are very expensive (leather ones) and require care and maintenance (which i don't mind) but is it really worth the hefty price or just any other (cheaper) leather saddle be a better choice for not slowly eating my wardrobe!

THANKS!

vickster

Legendary Member
Spa do leather saddles. Not sure though why leather would cause less friction while pedalling than a smooth vinyl saddle
Brooks are thief magnets, especially around London (friend of mine had hers nicked in Richmond), so if leaving the bike anywhere, you‘ll want to secure to the frame or take with !

Also you can get bike specific trousers with reinforced seats but can be spendy as aimed at the trendy hipster market

don't think brooks really require much maintenance, just covering against rain

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have Brooks on one bike and now a Spa on the other. I'm happy with both.

My cheap cycling shorts eventually (after 5000 miles) wear a bit thin and then I replace them.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems a bit unusual to be concerned about shorts wearing unless this is happening very quickly. My priority is comfort!

vickster

Legendary Member
I have Brooks on one bike and now a Spa on the other. I'm happy with both.

My cheap cycling shorts eventually (after 5000 miles) wear a bit thin and then I replace them.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems a bit unusual to be concerned about shorts wearing unless this is happening very quickly. My priority is comfort!
Don’t think he is wearing cycling specific clothing but ‘normal’ chinos

All uphill

Still rolling along
Don’t think he is wearing cycling specific clothing but ‘normal’ chinos
Yes, I missed that.

There is inevitably wear when fabric rubs against skin or saddle, so I'd suggest accepting that or having dedicated cycling leg wear. I'd hate to get caught on the bike in a shower wearing chinos! Uncomfortable!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Brooks don't need much care... I did admittedly put a bit of effort into softening mine initially because it wasn't getting used much early on (it was on my town bike and stayed too hard for ages), but I gather you don't really need to if you're riding them a lot.
Now it's broken in and my main saddle, I do have a cover for it if I'm likely to leave it out in the rain but that's not often, I don't ride that bike if it's going to be rubbish weather. The cover helps disguise it if you park it mind you. Ongoing care wise, I might give it a bit of leather treatment once a year, if I remember. It's tough leather, it doesn't need anointing weekly with magical dragon's tears or anything like that.

Anecdotally, I hear the leather on the Spa saddles is that bit stiffer than a Brooks and takes even longer to break in.

Are leather saddles worth it? I think so, it's something that might be with you for 30 years. You'd pay a hundred quid for a really good pair of shoes that might last you two years, so I don't think it's a huge investment.

If it's just to save your trousers though, (and you don't want the comfort of a leather saddle) then just get a cheaper vinyl one.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Brooks saddles are the best. :becool:

Spa do leather saddles. Not sure though why leather would cause less friction while pedalling than a smooth vinyl saddle
Brooks are thief magnets, especially around London (friend of mine had hers nicked in Richmond), so if leaving the bike anywhere, you‘ll want to secure to the frame or take with !

Also you can get bike specific trousers with reinforced seats but can be spendy as aimed at the trendy hipster market

don't think brooks really require much maintenance, just covering against rain
Yep they need covering against rain and the Brooks covers are excellent, but.......................why do they have to have a gigantic 'Brooks' logo on them, I've got a couple that came free with my more expensive models but from a theft point of view are totally pointless. a Tesco carrier bag tied on is just as good and gives em a bit of camoflauge. :ph34r:

vickster

Legendary Member
Brooks saddles are the best. :becool:

Yep they need covering against rain and the Brooks covers are excellent, but.......................why do they have to have a gigantic 'Brooks' logo on them, I've got a couple that came free with my more expensive models but from a theft point of view are totally pointless. a Tesco carrier bag tied on is just as good and gives em a bit of camoflauge. :ph34r:
What's wrong with a plastic bag?

SGG on a bike

I have a Spa Nidd on my mtb and a Brooks B17 on my road bike. Both owned from new. The Nidd took a little longer to break in, but is comfy (for me). I would say the Brooks has a slight edge in comfort, but that may be because it's softened up a bit quicker. If you can get to try one, it'd be a good idea as saddles are highly personal. A friend tried both mine out and hated them just to prove the previous point. Generally, I don't wear cycling shorts and actually prefer riding the mtb with the Nidd in normal shorts form a comfort point of view. It may be because of how the bike is set up (extra height with the padded shorts due to padding), but I really couldn't say. I always carry a plastic bag in the saddlebag anyway, but the Nidd does come with a waterproof cover.

I couldn't get comfy on anything else after tearing a hamstring at the insertion point of the pelvis. A whacking great B17 on my CF road bike don't look great - but at least I can ride.
I find it bobbles up my cycling shorts quickly and though that was due to the width of the brooks and I price I have no choice but to pay.
Are brooks saddles expensive ? - A b17 costs around £80 - IMO not a lot for a saddle but YMMV - Its £80 that keeps me cycling so is well worth it IMO.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I couldn't get comfy on anything else after tearing a hamstring at the insertion point of the pelvis. A whacking great B17 on my CF road bike don't look great - but at least I can ride.
I find it bobbles up my cycling shorts quickly and though that was due to the width of the brooks and I price I have no choice but to pay.
Are brooks saddles expensive ? - A b17 costs around £80 - IMO not a lot for a saddle but YMMV - Its £80 that keeps me cycling so is well worth it IMO.
Might be worth trying the B17n a narrower version of the saddle, I find mine more comfortable.

Top Bottom