Brookes Saddles and Saddles in general....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Might be worth trying the B17n a narrower version of the saddle, I find mine more comfortable.

Ive thought about the Cambrian - but I was 3 years off the bike with that hamstring injury - so always decide to leave well alone.

BTW theres an extremely nice, new and unused san marco in the classified for £12.....

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
When I used to commute in regular trousers I went through many, many pairs, that all died from rips in the inner thigh - not a good look when they suddenly tear after having worn thin!

I think whatever saddle type you use, this will always be an issue if you clock up the miles.

I now wear lycra for long road rides... don't really like the look/feel of it, but it does last much better!

For longer MTB rides, I wear tough work trousers, which I've found really good - comfy, hard wearing and look OK too. In fact, I pretty much live in them these days!

12boy

Guru
Both Velo Orange and Rivendell bicycles sold leather saddles made by Gyre and I have 5 of the VO as I have 5 bikes I ride frequently. Reading about the Spa saddles I would bet they are made by Gyes. The leather is thicker and the rails a bit longer than Brooks of which I also have several. The rails allow for more fore and aft movement. Mine are VO model 6s, narrow and fairly stiff. Probably like a Swallow or Professional Brooks. The B17 Narrow is still too wide for me. It seems to me there is less squirming around than on a conventional saddle which may translate to less trouser wear. What I've noticed is a cessation of getting saddle sores and the few I get are minor. They haven't worn out my nylon bike pants and shorts although the sit place is shiny. Mine have worn very well and haven't needed much if any tightening. Leather saddles are heavier though, and if you care about another 250 grams maybe not for you. Plastic bags work fine to keep them dry when parked . For me, I can deal with a little more weight a lot easier than discomfort.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There are cheaper, lighter, maintenance free, more comfortable saddles than Brompton out there. The problem is you have to find the right one.

Spa do leather saddles. Not sure though why leather would cause less friction while pedalling than a smooth vinyl saddle
Brooks are thief magnets, especially around London (friend of mine had hers nicked in Richmond), so if leaving the bike anywhere, you‘ll want to secure to the frame or take with !

Also you can get bike specific trousers with reinforced seats but can be spendy as aimed at the trendy hipster market

don't think brooks really require much maintenance, just covering against rain
Vickster wrote:

This is common advice in modern times.

Before everyone had motor cars and bikes were the principal form of transport for many and almost every bike had a Brooks saddle were they also so particular about not letting their saddles get wet?

vickster

Legendary Member
Vickster wrote:

This is common advice in modern times.

Before everyone had motor cars and bikes were the principal form of transport for many and almost every bike had a Brooks saddle were they also so particular about not letting their saddles get wet?
Not a clue, maybe I’m not as old as you, cars have been plentiful through my lifetime. :whistle:

However, OP wears chinos, some of which may be pale coloured, he may not want his new non colourfast brooks saddle getting soaked, leaking dye and staining the seat of his pale chinos?

robjh

Legendary Member
I'm a big Brooks fan as I find them reliable for comfort on long all day in the saddle rides, but they cost ££ so it really depends on what sort of riding the OP does. For short to medium rides they might find a much cheaper (say) Selle Italia vinyl model just as good, and it wouldn't unduly rub trousers.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Shorts or trousers with reinforced arses don't have to be spendy (or trendy). I'm a big fan of Craghoppers kiwi shorts. I used to wear padded shorts underneath but don't bother so much now.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
just a thought what about a brooks cambium ? they have a rubbery coating so they wouldnt stain or need so much maintenance

The tops of Brooks leather saddles are sealed, so shouldn't stain trousers.

Proofide is supposed to be applied to the underside of the saddle, although you can put a tiny bit on the top, and polish it off.

But because of the seal, all you are really doing is using the polishing cloth to remove what you just applied.

https://www.purecycles.com/blogs/bicycle-news/proofide-your-brooks

Top Bottom